The great back inflate vs. jacket BC debate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aerodiver:
I have been looking at buying a BC in the next few months. The problem is I have only dove jacket style BC's so far and am curious about back inflated. What I was wondering was have any of you started with a jacket style BC and gone to a back inflated? If so what made you switch and was the transition from styles relatively easy.Also any other comments or tips about specific BC's would help a lot. Just so you know I am starting by NAUI advanced class soon and if size matters I am kind of small (5'5, 115lbs). Any comments on switching BC types would be greatly appreciated.

Hello Aerodiver

I trained with a scubapro jacket style BC, took my first dive vacation to Nassau, Bahamas, where I rented my gear, and guess what bc I rented....a scubapro jacket style. My second dive vacation was to Cozumel, but for this one I had purchased an Aqualung Malibu RDS (back inflation). Immediately I noticed how much better my trim was, and how much I felt as if there were no constrictions around my torso.

My wife also dives a Malibu RDS, and she swears by it. I must say that when she tried on the Diva LX, she almost went jacket style, but she does not regret not getting it, and I've noticed how quickly she has perfected her trim and buoyancy skills.

I thought about buying a jacket style BC to complete my DM training because I thought it would be better to use in the pool with students, so I test dove a Seaquest QLX I was looking to purchase from a friend; I ended up getting a back inflation Oceanic Pro-tour. While it's also back inflation, the position of the weight pockets, combined with the placing of the trim weight pockets allow for good position on the surface.

The trick to back inflation is, in order to float right, the bladder must not be inflated as much as a jacket style would be. The diver then just leans slightly on its back and voila!

Hope this helps, but I have a feeling that the concensus is that back inflation IS the way to go!

Semper safe

Rick

I can second the Zeagle Zena- I have over 150 dives on mine and it's perfect! The only think I can say is to consider the amount of lift- mine is a few years old so only has 14 lbs, they now make a 22 lb and I think are coming out with a larger one. I've used back inflation for teaching and doing underwater photography. I haven't noticed any problems.

You can get some great BCD’s now that work like a normal one but with a pull of a cord isolates the front two pocket cells making it into a wing (Wings are 100% better for trim and less drag) then release and you have up right flotation back on the surface.. Seac-Subb 2000 is one make to look at..

Stick with a back plate and wing my self need the lift for twin set and stages..

jdf:
I like being able to swim upside down and look at the surface, stand up and hover to look around. I don't like being stuck swimming horizontal all the time because there is so much other cool stuff to see than what's on the bottom, so I like the jacket style. I just bought a Seaquest Diva LX with I have yet to try in open water, but it looks to be a combination of jacket and back inflated BC. I have noticed in the pool that the Diva really sits you out of the water on the surface very comfortably with no worries of being face down.

I can do all of that in my wing.

I learned & got certified in a jacket. On a recent trip, I borrowed a friend's Seaquest Balance. Loved it. Just bought my Scubapro Knighthawk. Back inflation is my preference.
Larry

I did my OW and my first few dives in a jacket. After taking the winter off, me and my buddy bought our first set of gear, before the season, and went with back inflate. It felt strange the first few dives, but keep in mind this is after not diving for a few months and still being very much newbies.

After a few dives I fell in love with the back inflate, and I'll never dive a jacket again if I can help it. Back in November, I got rid of the back inflate and picked up a BP and wing, even better. The pushing your face in is BS. In my opinion anyone who says that just doesn't have their weight distributed properly. In fact, when diving a steel, I actually get pulled back on the surface.

I just switched to the back inflate...........love it. Extremely low profile, was excellent in current. As for the face forward suition, this wasn't at all an issue for me, because I do all surface activities towards my back anyway. One further note, on the last trip (and my first with the Zena), I dropped my weight carriage from 10 lbs to 2 lbs, in 2 days, even did 1 dive with no weight(I only dive with a bathing suit, no neoprene). That's how comfortable this system made me feel. Don't hesitate to try one, you just may love it!!!!!!!!! or not!!!!!!!

I used to dive a Seaquest Balance and now use a Dive Rite Transpac. The Balance is a good BC, but it did tend to push you forward. Nothing strong, but the tendency is there. With my Transpac, there is no tendency to any position.

Try both and see what you like. Most shops will be happy to loan you one if you are planning on buying. I personally dive a Knighthawk (back-inflate) but I have also used a Scubapro Classic Sport and Sherwood Avid in the past and I can't tell a much difference between them. See what's good for you and ignore most of the hype.

I used to dive a Seaquest Balance and now use a Dive Rite Transpac. The Balance is a good BC, but it did tend to push you forward. Nothing strong, but the tendency is there. With my Transpac, there is no tendency to any position

I've heard many divers say that back inflaters tend to push them forward, but my experience has been the opposite. My Ranger floats me straight up in the water. Are you over inflating on the surface? That would tend to push you forward. :palmtree: Bob

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom