The indispensable Solo Diver certificate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, I was thinking of slinging an AL80 as a redundant air. I should first learn it as I have never tried. Thanks for advise!

The only "down side" is that other divers will think you're crazy, but it actually weighs nearly nothing in the water, the stage bottle strap packs very small in a suitcase, and it's amazingly cool to have a spare 80 CuFt of gas with you on a dive.

I've yet to see anybody surface after an emergency and say "Wow, I wish I didn't bring so much gas with me".

flots.

The only "down side" is that other divers will think you're crazy, but it actually weighs nearly nothing in the water, the stage bottle strap packs very small in a suitcase, and it's amazingly cool to have a spare 80 CuFt of gas with you on a dive.

I've yet to see anybody surface after an emergency and say "Wow, I wish I didn't bring so much gas with me".

flots.

We've actually done this on vacation in places like Curacao where shore diving is the norm and there's a distinct lack of manifolded doubles to use. I've found it's a little unbalanced so it's better to either back mount a single with one slung on each side (though that has the potential to get in the way of donating with the long hose) or to forego the back mount and just sling two 80s and off you go.

Works like a charm.

Hmm, may be my probelm was more of a cross-cultural nature. In our waters, where I also make my courses, good visibility is 10-12ft, average 5-7ft. In bad vis you hardly see your computer. To separate from a buddy and to not find him/her again is very easy. We were instructed to keep a distance of two stretched hands, more or less. It's sort of a habit, may be not a rule. Then also grabbing the buddies octo or suchlike is a viable option. DevonDiver, you really make me ask myself whether I should assume a more relaxed attitude toward the buddy system when in clear, tropical waters? If you as a Tech Instructor assess that in the described situation I had a support within a short distance, perhaps you're right and I'm overworried and should relax. Maybe everyone is everyones' buddy when diving in a group more or less together? It's a question, not irony. For my part even in a clear water, if the diptube of my tank valve gets clogged up (it happened to my friend in Egypt), I'd preffer a pony bottle on my side rather than a buddy who swims away in 30ft from me and whom I have to chase deeper down. Anyhow, advise to be more pro-active in agreeing on the rules is helpful.

Thank you friends for many good points from all of you.

J.

flots.

This.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

AS a diver who ALWAYS dives in clear tropical water (yes, an admitted warm water wuss) I would not allow my buddy to get 30 feet away. Just ain't gonna happen. I want my buddy close enough that if I need him/her I can reach them with just a few kicks. I mean you can't plan emergencies but you can plan for them. I don't need to be in hand holding distance but much over 10 feet and I'm not comfortable. I mean if they are ot moving I could get to them in 30 feet but what if they just checked on you and are kicking away? 10 - 15 feet and I'm comfortable - barely. That said, I dive solo on occasion. If I am extremely familiar with the area (like the front yard of cocoview which I have been in probably 80+ dives). When solo I set a max depth (safely cesa) and I don't enter the wreck or any other overhead environment. I have set rules on air usage (rule of thirds) and I have a great time. I don't carry a pony because it is such a pain to travel with. I also have pretty used knees (one has been replaced, the other has maybe 5 more yrs left) so I don't want to slug around a side mount. I just watch my friggin air supply- CLOSELY! My air usage is good enough that at least 2/3 s of the other divers need to surface before me (unless I'm diving with a bunch of experienced female divers - then all bets are off) so if I watch my air supply I feel confident that the group will head up with or before me. If not. well run up the smb and up my buddy and I will go.

I have the sdi solo cert and have used it many times. It does require you to carry more gear and more importantly it requires you to be far more practiced with this equipment than any AOW class would ever require you to be. My class was taught by a highly experienced instructor that would not pass you unless he was satisfied you would be safe solo. Great class but be prepared to practice your skills!

Your Solo cert is a good training option if done by a good instructor, but requires a lot of equipment. If you are prepared to do extra training and want to be more independant in the water, I would suggest you do your Divemaster course. Even for divers who have no intention of working in the industry, I think it is a great course for making a comfortable, safe and independant diver who can take care of himself in an emergency.

I would seriously discourage anyone who does not want to actually assist in instruction from taking the DM course. Most DM's courses are geared towards selling something as opposed to creating a safe, skilled, competent diver. Truth be told a diver should be that before thinking of entering a DM course. Skills should already be polished and instinctive. All the DM course should need to do is show how to effectively demo those skills to others. The SDI solo course is a great course for those who might think they wish to join the pro ranks as it teaches true self sufficiency, problem solving, proper planning, and excellent skills. It also gives one a new outlook on gear configurations that are not junked up. Solo diving does require more gear but not a lot more gear. It does require wise, informed, and well thought out choices when selecting gear. DM courses don't always do that. Especially the ones that require a DMC to be a bill board for what the shop sells.
Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Bryan, right now I am taking my SDI AOW course (deep, night/limited vis., navigation, basic nitrox) and also Dry suit with PADI. It's a good question, to where to head from there? I was considering SDI solo diver - partially for the reasons I mentioned above and partially because it looks a serious course where one can learn a lot. I also made thoughts about a GUE Fundamentals. The more I read the AOW speciality manuals, the more I realize that there is nothing new in them. It is all about the same OW skills, esp dive planning and buoyancy control, only in somewhat different conditions. GUE F seems to be a serious re-visiting of these basic skills. (I use BP&W anyway). If you say so, may be I should have a closer look at the Divemaster course.

Saxatilis, good for you. I really hope to find good instructors, too. Did you encounter situations, when your solo cert was not honored by the dive centers?

Jim, what do you think - GUE F or SDI Solo?

Thanks!

J.

That would depend on how independent minded you are from my point of view. GUE has very heavy emphasis on team skills and as far as I know discourages solo diving. It is also likely to be way more expensive. I looked into GUE F a couple years ago and gave it a pass. It just is not necessary for me. I would rather do targeted work shops and small courses focusing on what I feel I need and want to work on. The Solo course was a good fit for me and the instructor very good. He is also a friend. If you have enough dives for it (recommended amount is 100) I'd go for the solo course and decide on GUE later. The other hindrance for me to GUE training was a lack of two other team members that I would dive with on a regular basis that I could get to take it with me. I'm not going to call any dive just because of a lack or a dive buddy or buddies. I'll do any dive solo I'd do with a buddy. That includes some overheads and those requiring deco.

Back
Top Bottom