The Mares & Dacor HUB

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dbteel

Reaction score
I am considering purchasing the Mares HUB integrated diving system. I would appreciate comments from any owners/users. The system seems a bit pricey, but the reviews I've read have been quite positive. Thanks.

I don't own one of these things, but always wondered about repairing something on it. If you need regulator service, do you need to take in the whole unit? You might want to find out what a typical repair charge is for servicing this unit-it looks fairly complex.

One other thought-do you have a choice of regs for this unit, or are you stuck w/ what it comes with?

the unit comes with only one reg and thats it. (I used to sell mares) for the cost of a HUB you can buy a high performance reg and top of the line bc and be a hell of alot happier.

I just found this board. I am looking for any input or feed back on the Dacor HUB. I need a need BC and a reg and was thinking about getting this unit. Any pros or cons that people can share with me before I make the purchase?

Hi Guy!
Here is a long answer (below) I gave when discussing the Viper Tec, which I believe is your Primary Reg for the HUB. My best advice is try it out first, if you have the chance. I really liked everything about the Viper Tec, until I actually used one diving! The HUB itself looks like a great idea, if you like the components. I saw one at a local shop after I had already got my reg, etc.
dmentia

I have several things that I had problems with, and they all added up to being disappointed in the reg.

1st, I felt the side exhaust did not clear the bubbles as well as it should have. It seemed to me that the exhaust valve was not "extended" to the side enough. Since I was also having problems with a mask that didn't fit well, the bubbles came up the side and "pushed" their way into the mask, causing some leaking. However, when I tilted my head just a bit the bubbles did clear without interference.

2nd, Even though the reg has a low profile, it did not sit well in my mouth. The hose I have is too short, but even when I used my Viper octo with a long hose, the reg seemed to "pull" at the corner of my mouth. I think this is also from the shape of the side exhaust.

3rd, The Viper tec is designed to push/send air into the mouth for ease of breathing. I had read that sometimes if you try to breath too hard, it "forces" air to the back of the throat. In the Viper Tec I have, this is true. My very first dive, I was having several little things go wrong at the surface, due to the mask leak and surface chop. I got a bit anxious, and tried to take a deeper breath when the air got shot to the back of my thoat. It was not comfortable. If I had not read about this tendency, I might have gotten with panicky. That said, this problem is supposed to have been fixed in the newest versions. If you purchase an older Tec, there is a spring that they can add to the airway to slow the force of the air down. So this concern may not even be valid anymore.

The last thing I can tell you, which I did NOT have happen to me, is there were some comments from people (at Rodale's http://www.scubadiving.com on their equipment board) that the Viper Tec has a tendency to free flow. I don't know if that is true, since I never had any problem with that.

I think that if you get a chance to try the Viper Tec in the water, you may find that all of these are not an issue. The reg itself worked great down to 100 ft, and I never noticed any kind of performance issues once I calmed down and breathed normally. But the pulling at the mouth, and the bubbles under the corner of the mask when I looked straight down or forward make me want to try a diff reg. I will make sure I try it in the water this time!

A former associate of mine sells Mares equipment. He is very excited about (selling) the HUB, but just bought an Atomic reg. for himself. What does that say?

Ken

I was comparing hub mares/ mares diamon plus orditer octopus
well well the HUB was more expensive plus the salesman made me a good price if i was buying regulator ( octo) and the diamond jacket HI HI HI
But no Price on the HUB
Oh something else if you have to check the equipement in the store you have to let everything in the schop the whole HUB (you can't keep the regulator)

i went to a Mares demo days and tryed it out....i wasn't to impressed with it.. when you dump air from it. the dump is sitting on your left shoulder and goes right past your ear.. i didn't like that part.. also to inflate it orally was abit micky mouse. having to take the tube out of the pocket... being a rescue diver i would want something that you could inflate abit quicker then having to dig around for the tube.. then theres the price... i know here in Canada it sells for about $2000.00 you can buy yourself a really nice COMPLETE set of gear for that price. I like the mares product. one of my BC's is the vector 1000 and i love it.. but the HUB well sorry but i have to give it the thumbs down..

Is it good or bad? I was thinking of buying one or getting a package and they are about the same price so, which would be a better investment.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom