The problem with SCUBA diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

randytay

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Though I started not long ago but I have discovered a major problem with SCUBA diving. When I started, I was thrown all sorts of ideas about how exciting SCUBA diving is, how fun it is etc etc.

Well, I have now come to a point that all those does not matter. Never mind if I have no new place to discover or that the same spot has been dived dozens of time, i JUST want to get in the water. Its no longer "fun" for me but more like a need. I NEED to get in the water at least once a week or I suffer from some kind of withdrawal, or I will get really antsy throughout the week.

Any one else has the same issues?

Nah... I'm on a swim team. That satisfies my need to get in the water. Except not. At all. Diving is like an addiction. Albeit *my* addiction is still fun, exciting and legal. However, if it was taken out of context, the sudden and rapid draining of my funds would seem a mite suspicious (like a drug addiction), but fortunately I get equipment and experience, not pills. Since I can only manage a dive every month or so, swimming tides me over, but it is like popping sugar pills instead of the real thing- good enough to help me concentrate during daily life, but not good enough to erase the addiction. Its true what they say- once a diver, always a diver (They do say that, right?).
Besides, I could stop anytime I want to, same as with breathing. I just wouldn't be able to maintain it for long.

Nah... I'm on a swim team. That satisfies my need to get in the water. Except not. At all. Diving is like an addiction. Albeit *my* addiction is still fun, exciting and legal. However, if it was taken out of context, the sudden and rapid draining of my funds would seem a mite suspicious (like a drug addiction), but fortunately I get equipment and experience, not pills. Since I can only manage a dive every month or so, swimming tides me over, but it is like popping sugar pills instead of the real thing- good enough to help me concentrate during daily life, but not good enough to erase the addiction. Its true what they say- once a diver, always a diver (They do say that, right?).
Besides, I could stop anytime I want to, same as with breathing. I just wouldn't be able to maintain it for long.

Hah! I swim every alternate days in the gym... its just not the same. Its not even sugar-pills for me... can't concentrate... has... to... dive.... aaarrgghhh!

Randytay - if the addiction carries on that strong then you may want to think about going pro at least spending a season as a divemaster somewhere nice

Um you're really addicted when you start deciding the new piece of gear is more important than say a bill.... Done that been there, I mean you can pay the bill next check...right?

I understand your addiction, but to me it is still fun at 500 dives, with more than 300 in the same quarry. I can always find new areas to explore or skills that need brushing up on to keep me occupied & happy. As long as I am learning something (which I do on every dive I make) it is still fun to me.

Addiction? Nah ... I can quit anytime I want ... :rofl3:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Welcome to the addiction ............it might be the weightlessness that attracts me, not sure, but I will, if necessary to get my water fix, go to a local lake with very low vis, swim with my compass, or just hang there motionless. I tell myself I'm doing this for the exercise but that certainly isn't the case. I just need to do this to get my mind "right".

Yes, it's still fun and still an addiction. When it stops being so I will quit. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom