The problem with SCUBA diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Welcome to the addiction ............it might be the weightlessness that attracts me, not sure, but I will, if necessary to get my water fix, go to a local lake with very low vis, swim with my compass, or just hang there motionless. I tell myself I'm doing this for the exercise but that certainly isn't the case. I just need to do this to get my mind "right".

You know, I think this is really what I like about diving. When I am diving, everything above water tends to go away. I am focused on diving. I dont think about work, or bills or politics or... There are very few things I do for fun that focus me as much as what I've found diving does.

I now dive for work, and still find enjoyment in a nice no effort reef dive, or exploring a big steel wreck.

Everyone has his/her own story. I think that as stated in another thread, it is the "Homo Aquaticus" syndrome. Do you watch videos of foreign diving locations such as Carribean, Red Sea, Cozumel,Malta, Thailand and so on? If yes, then you are addicted, but you are not the only one. There are many like you and the population is rapidly growing:D Good luck with your addiction...

I knew I shouldn't have watched that first episode of "Sea Hunt" way back in 1957! I think I got addicted through the screen of that old black-and-white TV. I'm still addicted, but right now suffering from some serious salt-water withdrawal. I'm almost tired of diving in our local quarry, but not so tired of it that I'm not gonna dive it until my next saltwater trip comes up. It sure as hell beats not diving at all.

Addiction? Nah ... I can quit anytime I want ... :rofl3:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Me too. I don't have a problem. I just choose to get up at 5am on workdays to head out for a quick dive.

OK, maybe I spend a bit more money on it than I should. But it is not like the kids are going to need their college fund tomorrow or anything.

Though I started not long ago but I have discovered a major problem with SCUBA diving. When I started, I was thrown all sorts of ideas about how exciting SCUBA diving is, how fun it is etc etc.

Well, I have now come to a point that all those does not matter. Never mind if I have no new place to discover or that the same spot has been dived dozens of time, i JUST want to get in the water. Its no longer "fun" for me but more like a need. I NEED to get in the water at least once a week or I suffer from some kind of withdrawal, or I will get really antsy throughout the week.

Any one else has the same issues?

Welcome aboard the "Flying Dutchman"!!!

Hello. My name is Sam, and I'm a scuba addict.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom