The Pure Pleasure Of Diving Alone. [Poll]

Do you prefer solo diving over diving with one or many others ?

• n/a

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I never dive solo.

Votes: 18 10.2%
  • I have dived solo, but didn't enjoy it.

Votes: 4 2.3%
  • I prefer to dive with one or many others, but I do dive solo.

Votes: 49 27.7%
  • I prefer to dive solo , but I do dive with one or many others.

Votes: 70 39.5%
  • I always or nearly always dive solo.

Votes: 23 13.0%
  • Other (please specify).

Votes: 12 6.8%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Most of my time on SCUBA dating back to 1962 has been solo. Initially it was because we only had one set of gear. When I started underwater imaging it was because I didn't want to be an "anchor" for others. I truly enjoy solo diving but am always happy to dive witrh my son (when he can get away from work) or one of my other buddies.

Nobody to fool but myself
This!

I enjoy diving with others but sometimes there is a certain satisfaction of being solo.
I fish offshore solo, get the same feeling. Accomplishment isn't the right word, but close.

Down side is nobody to help clean the boat, schlep gear, "Did you see....."

I prefer solo for many reasons.... I dive when I want and my schedule, I can work on whatever skills I want to without delaying anyone else (I still try to make every dive a training dive). I can see what I want to see, stay as long and at what depths I want, call a dive when I want, I really enjoy the time alone to myself. In a busy and hectic life. Me time is important and diving solo is how I shed my stress for a while.

Having some medical issue during a dive will be no different with a buddy or without. So again.... I can call the dive when I want and have a better chance of getting out and resolving the issue solo.

As a photographer, I prefer solo diving. I really started doing it when my husband's health problems prevented him from diving two years ago. He was a Master Instructor with 50 years experience diving. He often solo dived before meeting me. He finally was able to dive with me one last time on May 31st, but passed three weeks ago today. I really don't want to dive with anyone else. Just let me do my own thing.

Different coast, but same time and same reasons as Dr Bill, I started diving solo. To this day I enjoy diving solo over diving with a buddy, although I do both. I'm only one data point, but over the years I have found myself in more "interesting" predicaments when diving with buddys.

Bob

As a photographer, I prefer solo diving. I really started doing it when my husband's health problems prevented him from diving two years ago. He was a Master Instructor with 50 years experience diving. He often solo dived before meeting me. He finally was able to dive with me one last time on May 31st, but passed three weeks ago today. I really don't want to dive with anyone else. Just let me do my own thing.
First off, My most sincere condolences. I lost my best friend and dive buddy a couple years back.He was also a Master/ Instructor diver who never stopped teaching or having fun at it. I was devaststed and actually stopped for a while, due to emotional issues. I found I liked the solitude and jobs across the country also increased the divide between me and diving/ buddying . I have moved on but still like my solitude. I also have begun mentoring some new divers in my area, and yes I like the company and camaraderie. I am a "senior" diver (65 yrs old), and the young punks are a diversion. So I have learned the best of both worlds suit me.

I can and do dive solo. (If I'm with a sudent I consider myself solo becuase I can't rely on them to assist)

However, One part of diving I enjoy it that of sharing an experience. So for instance, seeing a Whale Shark solo is one thing, but seeing it with your buddy and being able to experience it together is something else.

I prefer to dive with a buddy or a team, but I do dive solo if no one is available. I really like to talk about the dive afterwards. Compare what we have seen, how the dive felt, etc. on the drive home, or over a beer in the evening, and making plans for the next dive together. It's a nice way of socializing with like-minded folks, which I don't get when I dive solo.

I love the peace of mind solo diving facilitates.

Can and do dive with people and enjoy it, but for entirely different social reasons.

Diving itself has always been a hobby sweetest when tasted alone.

As for using stats:
Adding a buddy doubles the odds of a fatal medical emergency during the dive. Them or me, either way that spoils my dive plan.

Cameron

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom