The "S" Word

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mweitz

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
This term is thrown around a lot, and Jonnythan loosely defined it in another thread and asked that it be "kept in the history books". Well, I think it is a term that has some merit. It is funny that all the discussions here about what is or isn't DIR go back to "What does George say", but for some reason this term is considered "bad". The term clearly goes along with rule #1 (well, it IS rule #1), and mostly describes divers in advanced diving situations (soft or hard overhead) or technically trained divers IMO. It is a useful word for some situations. The word "Stroke" doesn't have anything to do with recreational divers in my opinion. I don't think he is talking about going out on a 2 tank boat dive and poking fun at all the folks on the boat.

In any case here is the actual definition of the word from the Man himself.
http://www.pina3.net/dive/stroke.htm

Now, I certainly don't think we should be calling each other strokes on the boards, but I think that it is an important word and its spirit should be embraced. It is really one of the tenets of Technical diving (well, Rule #1 is) Most folks will dive with anyone on a reef dive, but as soon as you start talking about overheads, people get pretty picky as to their dive buddies, and rightly so.

Thoughts?

Mark

My thought ... I think that word, and the person who originated it, have done more to damage the DIR image ... and negate what DIR could constructively offer to the recreational diver ... than anything else possibly could.

To my concern, I have another "S" word that could be applied to Mr. Irvine ... "sociopath". He may be a great diver, and a nice guy in person ... but his mommy really needs to take his keyboard away from him.

To my concern, whatever the term was meant to mean, it has taken on an entirely different meaning ... and demeaning ... in Internet discourse.

It has no place on ScubaBoard.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

So you think we should embrace the spirit of the word Stroke, eh? It is a slippery slimy concept to embrace if you ask me.

To wit: Yesterday's DIR Guru is today's Stroke.

I can think of two: the first is enlarging the cubic capacity of an internal combustion engine by lengthening the distance the pistons move as they go up and down.

The second is not fit to print on a family-oriented board such as this one is...

Sure, but what did George have in mind when he applied "stroke" to some SOB like myself out for a 2 tank morning boat dive?

The divers I respect don't use it.

-Except with tounge in cheek, as in, "strokery", "strokology", "strokalishious"...:wink:

I totally agree with the general tone of the responses so far.

We forgot one of the original definitions of the word: to stimulate, as in 'stroking' the ego of some tinydick wannabe.

Well,
If you go to the site and read the "home" page you will see that the site has not been updated since Nov. 2003...
I am sure a lot of information, opinions and techniques have improved in the last 2 years.
Kirsten

If "stroke" means an unsafe diver, why can't we just call them unsafe divers instead of an obviously charged and derogatory term like stroke???

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom