The "S" Word

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
redhatmama:
he's so arrogant that I can't discern if his motive is caring about other people or self-aggrandizement.
Probably a bit of both. Plus, some people take great pleasure in getting people all wound up. Think of it as comic relief.

JeffG:
Probably a bit of both. Plus, some people take great pleasure in getting people all wound up. Think of it as comic relief.

Like TROLLS???!!! lol

Ben_ca:
IMHO A stroke is more dangerous than an unsafe diver.... A stroke doesn't know/think he is unsafe. So let's call it what it is.... This combined with an unsafe attittude is what rule # 1 is trying to avoid.
Unfortunately ... like the term "DIR" ... it has achieved a meaning never intended by it's authors.

Ben_ca:
Political correctness and trying to not to hurt other's feelings is fine... But nothing hurts more than having to recover your buddies and having to explaine to his wife what happened.
I view it more as an issue of business than one of political correctness. It doesn't hurt my feelings at all ... but it definitely makes it more difficult for me to convince non-DIR minded divers that there's benefit for them in the program.

Ben_ca:
Like what Lamont was saying that mentality that this is a dangerous sport and that there will be deaths apply to OW too. IIf GI wants to call me an idiot and tells me that if I dive the way I dive I'm asking for it... I'll listen. If he says there's a better/safer way to dive I'm all for it. The mindset of the last one up wins and 500 psi be back on the boat just don't cut it for me.
Agreed ... but there are more effective ways to convey that message than to make up derogatory names.

Ben_ca:
It would also help the discussion if people would state if they are DIR, DIR trained minded ect.... Non DIR guys are obviously going to be on the No side since they think they are the ones being referenced
DIR-F trained ... considering Rec Triox, Tech 1, and Cave 1 in the near future. NAUI instructor for Fifth Dimension. Currently do most of my non-training dives with DIR-trained divers.

Love the skills, dislike the politics and side-effects ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Uncle Pug:
None of you strokes are qualified to call anyone else a stroke and doing so only makes it all the more obvious that you are a compete idiot.
Well, its back to the farm for me.

Ben_ca:
Political correctness and trying to not to hurt other's feelings is fine... But nothing hurts more than having to recover your buddies and having to explaine to his wife what happened.

Like what Lamont was saying that mentality that this is a dangerous sport and that there will be deaths apply to OW too. IIf GI wants to call me an idiot and tells me that if I dive the way I dive I'm asking for it... I'll listen. If he says there's a better/safer way to dive I'm all for it. The mindset of the last one up wins and 500 psi be back on the boat just don't cut it for me.

It just annoys a lot of people and hinders acceptance of DIR and will certainly fuel movements such as DIR LITE. DIR-F is not the Marine Corps basic training (I was a USMC officer so I know what I'm talking about). You show too much pride; you exclude people; you elevate your status in your eyes and decrease it in others when you call someone a stroke or refer to divers who have not adopted DIR as strokes.

DIR hasn't caught on in very many places. I haven't met ANY DIR divers locally or in my travels, although I have met some people who have adopted some DIR principles. The Tech divers I have spoken with loathe and ridicule DIR. It's not because they are not up to the challenge. They just hate the mentality.

redhatmama:
The Tech divers I have spoken with loathe and ridicule DIR. It's not because they are not up to the challenge. They just hate the mentality.
and thats fine, nobody says you "have to" be DIR. Because to be blunt, nobody cares. Don't you think it is shortsighted to throw away an entire system because of a perceived mentality?

JeffG:
and thats fine, nobody says you "have to" be DIR. Because to be blunt, nobody cares. Don't you think it is shortsighted to throw away an entire system because of a perceived mentality?
I think that question can be asked at more than one level ... starting with "Why is there so much antagonism toward DIR"? I have to deal with that a lot ... and being someone who really would prefer to promote the concepts of safer diving, I'm not always pleased about the answers.

Much of the reason pertains to the topic of this thread ... and a mentality that spawns a lexicon of terms intended to demean people.

It's really rather unnecessary ... and self-defeating ... in the long term.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Rick Inman:
The divers I respect don't use it.

What he said....

NWGratefulDiver:
I think that question can be asked at more than one level ... starting with "Why is there so much antagonism toward DIR"? I have to deal with that a lot ... and being someone who really would prefer to promote the concepts of safer diving, I'm not always pleased about the answers.

Much of the reason pertains to the topic of this thread ... and a mentality that spawns a lexicon of terms intended to demean people.

It's really rather unnecessary ... and self-defeating ... in the long term.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Its part of being human actually, nothing to do with DIR.

DIR is just a system.

It doesn't post, it doesn't talk, it just is. After that, add in human behavior. Look at any message board, on probably any subject and you will find the same behaviors. If this was a golf forum, we would be fighting about steel vs graphite shafts.

For scuba...we have DIR to kick around (today...there might be something better to fight over in the future). Usually, the good thing is that behind most of this "stuff" are people that love to dive and if they ever meet in person, that usually is more important. But for the internet...nope, debate fuels the fire, so I think it will never end :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom