The SCUBA Police and the Vintage Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You should have told him he could make a citizen's arrest and make you get on his boat until the police arrived.

That way he could have been arrested for false arrest and imprisonment.

If you wear that you will be banned from vintage and we will "yank" your card for sure.

N

You just have mullet envy.

Last edited:
"I'm yanking your certification. I'll send your card in to have it canceled for safety violations."

I just stared at him. "By whose authority?"

"Mine," he shot back. "I'm the instructor at #$*&^# Dive Shop."

if this moron wants to go all over the lake being the scuba police, you should post his name and shop name.

I mean he went out of his way to disrupt your diving and he started it. so I see no reason not to post it.

My thought is that he was worried that I would be a corrupting influence on his students and they might realize that they don't have to buy a trillion dollars worth of equipment from his shop in order to dive. The cost of my equipment:

US Divers DA Aquamaster (completely rebuilt by VDH)------------$250.00
Classic Oval Mask from Vintage Scuba Supply--------------------- 35.00
Deep Blue Gear Aquanaut Full Foot Fins-------------------------- 23.00
Vintage US Divers J snorkel (bought 40 years ago)---------------- 3.00
Healthways steel 72 w/J valve bought in 1976 for ---------------- 80.00
Stainless steel dive knife bought from Ebay for------------------- 10.00
Healthways capillary depth gauge bought 40 years ago for-------- 4.00
Healthways campack backpack bought in 1976 for---------------- 15.00
Scubapro weight belt bought 30 years ago for-------------------- 3.00
5 lbs weight---------------------------------------------------- 5.00

Total---------------------------------------------------------- $428.00

Compare that to the amount his dive shop might expect to get from the students by selling them all the "necessary" gear for SCUBA diving.

Even adding my new Sea Elite horsecollar BC-------------------- 150.00

the total is less than $600.00.

Alright I do have a complaint, by diving all this "old and unsafe" equipment and not purchasing tons of expensive gear (like I did). You are doing nothing to help lower the cost of scuba gear for us....you need to upgrade ASAP....come on take one for the team!

Seriously, I am the guy who has all the gadgets and doo dads...and if you want to dive your cool old stuff, I'd love to be there and check it all out. Old classic cars don't have airbags and modern safety equipt, are they outlawed banned from the roads? I like to dive my gear, I am safe about how I dive my gear...I am sure you are too. It took me too damn long to get my C card, some wanna be ruler of the world is going have to take from my dead hand and even then I might not let it go.

Besides, I am sure if you asked him to produce his instructor card it would have been back in his new shiney truck.....with air bags.

Joe

This moron is living proof of the maxim " It is better to be thought a fool, than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt." I would file a complaint with whatever certification agency his shop uses, as well as letting them know at the shop that they would not need to worry about my patronage as stupidity may in fact be contagious and they may all have caught it from him.

I would have loved to have been there. Just to hear it all. But I have never Dov-in with a J valve ether

I just laughed and laughed and laughed.

Thanks for the chuckles Paladin.

PS. You could have told him how (because you never took no scuba course) you just backfill your tanks through the LP hose at the gas station. Works for me and beats the old method of gulping air on the surface and belching at depth to create a "biological" rebreather.

Vintage divers (who still have hair) have either flattops or JFKs.

At my age, who the heck has hair?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom