The Shearwater Teric Announced

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It does NOT, and my guess would be it's unlikely to support VPM in the future... seems to be conscious decision by Shearwater going forward given the latest info on VPM. However, in no way deters the possibility that Shearwater might later support a different alternative deco algorithm.
At personal risk, there is not really info regarding VPM, there is evidence that deeper stops appear to be less effective, less advantageous as a deco algorithm.

Not at all.... This is a cute little thing and I just sent the link to Mrs. Stoo since my birthday is only six months away. However, this would be utterly useless up here with drygloves etc. I was wearing both a Petral and a Perdix this past weekend and I found the Perdix more difficult to use since the buttons are closer to my suit and cuff rings. It was tricky to make gas changes etc. No way you could operate the Teric with drygloves on I don't think.

It would make a great computer for warm water and an excellent backup.
I, and I think CuzzA too, said this tongue in cheek, in a willingnes to help others unload their now worthless Perdix. :wink:

2 buttons work perfectly on the Perdix - it's an incredibly simple, intuitive interface. I can't see 4 buttons being noticeably better? Perhaps with the memory function they mention where you can assign a specific screen/function to one of the "extra" buttons. However, at least for me (as a recreational diver), I've never once thought that the Perdix or Petral needed extra buttons.

push, push, push, push, push, push, crap!
push..., push..., push..., push... push... finally!

Quick question on the alarms - can it be configured to alert with ONLY vibratory alarms as audible alarms are just plain annoying (and confusing to other divers). Thanks!
Yes, you can leave only haptic alarms. Many of us around here relate to your comments about audible alarms. You can turn the beeping off and leave the vibration only.

I totally get this...there’s no back button so you gotta push, push, push, push, push, push...until you get back to where you missed the first time!

No way you could operate the Teric with drygloves on I don't think.

I observe that Shearwater is located in BC, where a drysuit and gloves for normal people is pretty much a requirement, and where they have water tested every other computer they sell. I don't own dry gloves (thank God!) but a test pressing the buttons by first covering my hand with a blanket a few weeks ago (yes, I was in bed playing with it [the Teric!!!] in the dark before going to sleep) uncovered no particular difficulty.

Two buttons is like sending a text before smart phones...

I'm hoping the four button allows forward and reverse for all the menus, a big improvement.

On my four button computer that is how it works. I'd be shocked if the Teric navigation isn't the same. I must say, that Teric may be the perfect computer. It's really tempting.

I totally agree. You can only do so much with a display smaller than the top of a beer can and 1-4 buttons. A laptop or a smartphone is the ideal way to configure a dive computer and can download data. This is especially important when you only use it once or twice a month. A manual is a list of user interface failures. Tech support is a massive fail that also consumes a lot of profit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom