The Shearwater Teric Announced

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

[QUOTE="Miami_Scuba_Man, post: 8346441Can you confirm that in "the old school screen" with the compass (like the screen you see with the Perdix AI in compass mode) shows the red line reciprocal still? Thank you[/QUOTE] Yes, it does!

That's a workaround,
It works, it's simple and it leaves the clock face largely uncluttered by the floating compass. On a traditional compass, you're just putting the S into the N point. No real difference here since you're just flipping the direction of travel.

That's a workaround, but not really the same as having your marked heading as a green dot and reciprocalheading as an additional red dot.
Shearwater can correct me if I'm wrong, but with no true lock in points confirmed to be "on the marker" - and having the dot "close enough" to the bottom coming back (and going out) - the overlay compass seems more designed as a quick reference, but not designed as a true marker navigation tool to navigate there and back from specific points with specific lock in headings. I can't speak for other locations, but when you're at one wreck here and you have to go a specific direction to the other wreck, a few degrees off "close enough" to the top and bottom will make you miss your target.

That being said, the "traditional" compass function of Shearwater (like on the Perdix AI) is hands down my favorite compass on the market for locking things in and confirming your reciprocal heading is locked dead on back. Combine that with the 3 axis tilt feature, I absolutely trust and love their "traditional" compass for true navigation. Except for just quick references, when truly needing to "navigate", I'll just put the Teric in traditional mode.

I still think it would be easy for them (with a software update) to easily confirm you're on your heading there and back (in overlay mode) without just looking at the top and bottom of the watch, saying it's "close enough"

It works, it's simple and it leaves the clock face largely uncluttered by the floating compass. On a traditional compass, you're just putting the S into the N point. No real difference here since you're just flipping the direction of travel.
It may work, but it is NOT the function that was specifically asked about (presence of a red dot reciprocal heading indicator in addition the the green dot indicator for the marked heading). So, what you offered was a workaround to his desired, but missing, function.

Another question for those lucky enough to actually own the Teric...

Do you think the bezel is easily prone to scratches? I saw one on a boat we use yesterday. Obviously, without knowing what he did or how well he takes care of his gear (or how careful he is while diving), I was (and so was he) surprised how the paint around the bezel was already scratched off in a few places. I use to have another stainless steel computer (the Oceanic OC1) and it also was prone to scratches. Just curious as to people's thoughts

That being said, once I saw it in person and how bright the screen was and just the whole "shearwater fingerprint style computer" that it was, I absolutely can't wait to get mine (ha, 13 weeks from now). I just might not take it lobster diving or put it though unnecessary stress on my "less real dives" (aka.. teaching open water in a pool) if it's prone to scratches really easily. Normal wear and tear is obviously expected. Just curious if it seems "extra prone" to scratching easily (or if was just that diver with bad care). Thank you

Another question for those lucky enough to actually own the Teric...

Do you think the bezel is easily prone to scratches? I saw one on a boat we use yesterday. Obviously, without knowing what he did or how well he takes care of his gear (or how careful he is while diving), I was (and so was he) surprised how the paint around the bezel was already scratched off in a few places. I use to have another stainless steel computer (the Oceanic OC1) and it also was prone to scratches. Just curious as to people's thoughts

That being said, once I saw it in person and how bright the screen was and just the whole "shearwater fingerprint style computer" that it was, I absolutely can't wait to get mine (ha, 13 weeks from now). I just might not take it lobster diving or put it though unnecessary stress on my "less real dives" (aka.. teaching open water in a pool) if it's prone to scratches really easily. Normal wear and tear is obviously expected. Just curious if it seems "extra prone" to scratching easily (or if was just that diver with bad care). Thank you

I have ten dives on my Teric now; six done as part of some tec training and four rec dives. Mostly boat drives; drift dives out of Jupiter and West Palm. A lot of banging around getting geared up, off and on the boat, and the like. There are 3 or 4 very small "dings" on the bezel; they are much more obvious underwater; back on land you have to look hard to see them. I wouldn't hesitate to wear it as a watch, even in business clothes (given that nearly all business clothes are "business casual" these days, at least where I work).

Finally decided on the Teric and the screen is awesome! Fits nicely on my small wrist and feels well built.

After the first week of wreck diving I notice just a tiny scratch in the finish almost where the minute hand is pointing.

IMG_0313.JPG

Back
Top Bottom