The Terri Schiavo Case

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

baltimoron

Contributor
Reaction score
In case some of you have not been following current events lately:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/4373669.stm

What do you all think about this situation? Do you think they should put back in the feeding tube?

Personally, I think she is no longer alive. Sure, she has human functions (she breathes, her heart beats, she has basic bodily functions), but she is lacking in concencious thought, and therefore is not really alive in human terms. But then do think that they should give up hope? I mean, she has been a vegetable for fifteen years. Maybe we should keep her alive until we can find a way to restart higher brain capabilities. Does the US Government really have justification to get involved in this matter? Is it really necesary to pass legislation on this issue? What if you were in a situation (say, a stroke or cardiac arrest) where they could keep you alive by artifical means, or "Pull the Plug", what would want done?

I think this is an interesting discussion. Let's get some feedback here.

Sounds like a politcal debate here. May violate SB TOS.

wedivebc:
I was going to say that first, but decided not to. But I will agree with you.
David

wedivebc:

I doesn't have to be. I didn't intend it to be political at all. Well, by political I mean partisan. There is no reason we have to fear politics, it when we get into party politics things get a little sticky. No, but really, this doesn't have to be political at all.

This could be a political discussion if we are to focus on the law. But I look at this case and see a conflict between the husband and the woman's parents. I can understand both views but I will side with the husband. Still sad though.

Laurens

If I was in terri's situation I would hope that they would remove the tube. If my body can not sustain itself, then it is no longer a temple for my soul.

What I hope is that I am never in either her situation or that of her family and loved ones.

El Orans:
This could be a political discussion if we are to focus on the law. But I look at this case and see a conflict between the husband and the woman's parents. I can understand both views but I will side with the husband. Still sad though.

Laurens

How can you call him a "husband"?
He has been living with another woman for 10 years and has fathered 2 children with this woman.

cancun mark:
If I was in terri's situation I would hope that they would remove the tube. If my body can not sustain itself, then it is no longer a temple for my soul.

What I hope is that I am never in either her situation or that of her family and loved ones.

That is why it is important to have a living will, where your desires are clearly stated.

dlndavid:
How can you call him a "husband"?
He has been living with another woman for 10 years and has fathered 2 children with this woman.
I believe he's still married to her, isn't he?

Laurens

El Orans:
I believe he's still married to her, isn't he?

Laurens

Husband in name only (hino).

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom