The "Thanks" button is gone.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was waiting to see what would happen when one of them hit 100,000 ... would the counter register the most significant digit? Or would it scroll to all zeros and make 'em start over again ...

... now I will spend the rest of my days pondering "what if" ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Believe it or not we did have a mnission :rofl3:.

I have to reiterate to the few (apparently) that are so against the THANKs protocol of some. Do you all really lead such perfect lives that this is the tops issue in life to deal with? You are a lucky group. I am one of the ones that has no idea of how this can be the huge issue that is apparently is. Pete, I accept that the ability is gone and will be coming back in a modified form. That is your perogitive. I am not in any way fighting that. That is why some many of the so called abusers chose to not participate in this thread until Jenny decided to sling mud. We were taking the high road in an effort to not cloud the issue. In fact, many of our responses to posts in this thread have not been posted to help keep the peace. But the reality is, this is a small issue blown out of proportion by a select few with hidden agendas.

I welcome the new ScubaBoard program as soon as it rolls out. I have said my piece.....that is all.

..... The thanks feature supplied something that was like the eye contact that's missing from internet conversations. I really think the user feel will be diminished without it. It was an excellent way to let someone know you heard them without adding fluff to a thread.

perfect analogy!
Originally Posted by TraceMalin

It was also pretty cool when someone I'd normally be battling over a topic would give a "Thanks" ... at times, that was like breaking bread or some other gesture that united rather than polarized.

I also think that when lurkers or new members joined in the discussion by posting a valuable perspective, the thanks received could make them feel valued and accepted by the community.

I think the only thing the "Thanks" button really divided was what made SB a little bit more fun than other boards.
Some more good thoughts

It didn't bother me that some had fun with the thanks button
... it does bother me that one of the tools ScubaBoard has for making this site a different, better and more personal place , has been removed (but reinstated on a limited bases)

I hardly see how a group of about 8-10 people, who thank each other in one specific thread leads to "an unhealthy polarization of the community".
You are over simplifying this by limiting it to only 8-10 people. That is simply not the case. The polarization was seen in many, many threads and not just one. The thanks that I have received in PMs from individuals for eliminating this feature is running 3to1 over the few in this thread who are making this out to be a bad decision.

The universe did not come to an end. We are still a community and a forum.

You are over simplifying this by limiting it to only 8-10 people. That is simply not the case. The polarization was seen in many, many threads and not just one. The thanks that I have received in PMs from individuals for eliminating this feature is running 3to1 over the few in this thread who are making this out to be a bad decision.

The universe did not come to an end. We are still a community and a forum.

Is that a solicitation for those of us in favor of the thanks button to PM you?:D

But the reality is, this is a small issue blown out of proportion by a select few with hidden agendas.
Are referring to the ones who liked or didn't like the thanks feature? It's kind of ironic that you are accusing a "select few" for creating some sort of conspiracy theory about another "select few" having a conspiracy theory. MC Escher look out! :rofl3:

Is that a solicitation for those of us in favor of the thanks button to PM you?:D
A few have, but a "select few" obviously prefer the public arena to decry the injustices foisted upon the masses by a "select few". :rofl3: Isn't it ironic, doncha think?

perfect analogy!

Thanks RJP, but it was a simile. :wink:

... it does bother me that one of the tools ScubaBoard has for making this site a different, better and more personal place , has been removed (but reinstated on a limited bases)

+1.

Maybe I'm stupid or unobservant, but I didn't see this polarization. At least not one caused by the Thanks button, haha.

Are referring to the ones who liked or didn't like the thanks feature? It's kind of ironic that you are accusing a "select few" for creating some sort of conspiracy theory about another "select few" having a conspiracy theory. MC Escher look out! :rofl3:

As usual Pete, you are not worth a response. I will leave your communistic control over the board in your less than capable hands.

A few have, but a "select few" obviously prefer the public arena to decry the injustices foisted upon the masses by a "select few". :rofl3: Isn't it ironic, doncha think?

You know Pete, it seems pretty appropriate to discuss forum rules publicly...in a forum. No one is decrying injustice, just trying to reasonably put in my $.02. I really hope this doesn't go all hair up and claws out, because it doesn't need to.

Personally I'm just trying to get 1) my annoyance across and 2) a clue about why this change was necessary. For me, it's a large change to how the board feels.

I'll miss it, but I'll adapt. Hey, I enjoyed this place for years before that feature ever came into being ... I sure don't think it's worth arguing about ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom