Thermometer recommendations or warnings?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Allen42

Contributor
Reaction score
I'd like to get a thermometer to supplement my Datamax Pro Plus' internal thermometer. According the Oceanic's tech support, the computer's thermometer is fairly deep inside the console, and can take up to 15 minutes to provide an accurate reading of the temperature.

Well.... usually when I want to know the current temp, it's because I just dropped into a bone-jarring thermocline and I wanna know just how cold it is. I'd prefer not stick around (or follow it around as the case may be) for 15 minutes to find out the temp.

I've seen some $5 wrist-mounted thermometers, and the price just goes up from there for fancier, integrated into watches, etc. Any suggestions on a decent, fairly fast-acting, thermometer?

Thanks,
Allen

:cold: I know how you feel - as I went under the thermoclime at Catalina Island a year ago this month just long enough to know I didn't want to stay! My computer didn't register, so I don't know how cold...?

:frosty: Since then (you are welcome to laugh!) I paid a buck and a half for a plastic room thermometer at Walmart and tied it to my consel hose. Looks dumb, but works.

:thumb: Happy bubbles...!

Dandydon, thanks.

I thought about doing the same, but had a couple of thoughts:

How deep have you taken this?

If it's mercury-based, I'm not sure how the pressure might affect its accuracy.

Your experience?

I've had it down 134 feet, and that's as deep as I ever plan to go at my age! :eek:ldguy: And you won't find mercury in a consumer thermometer; haven't in decades, I don't think. Too dangerous and too expensive. I believe that liquid thermometers are all alcohol based. :boozer: There could be something wrong with the approach, but it's worked for the last dozen dives anyway.

And if it fails, the dollar fifty is one of my smaller diving expenses.
:jack:

Happy bubbles... :wavey:

I didn't know that about alcohol replacing mercury. I should have said liquid-based versus bi-metallic type of thermometer.

I'm concerned that the changing ambient pressure might affect a liquid-based thermo, since I'm assuming the rest of the tube in the thermometer is filled with air which could compress somewhat, affecting the reading.

This is more academic than anything, since we're only talking about a $1.50 gadget, but it's interesting to me.

-Allen

I used to use a little plastic or perhaps acrylic thermoneter designed to be attached to your ski jacket's zipper. It was actually molded quite thick and was very pressure resistant. The paper wind chill chart on the back lasted about a dive and a half, but the rest of the thermometer held up very well. (is there such a thing as "current chill" ?) It was eventually just glued to the back of a console. The reaction time for this thermometer was a couple minutes.

I also used a small bi-metal thermometer from US Divers that was designed to attached to a watch band. It also adjusted to ambient temp in a minute or two and with a little bending and crimping of the metal mounting tabs, found it's way onto the back of a console. My current dive computer has a thermometer with a fairly fast reaction time, so I no longer use a separate thermometer.

:eek:ldguy: Just remembered. If you find 10 cheap thermometers for sale, it's likely that 7 or 8 will agree on the current temp, while 2 or 3 will be off. Pick one of the majority. No guarantee, just the good bet.

Happy Bubbles, :wave: Don

Pufferfish, I assume you're refering to the one that mounts onto a wristband and not the one integrated into the whistle, correct?

Yup the wristband one. All I can say is my buddy has one and his read the same (38F) so the precision seems good but don't know about the accuracy. Felt about that cold though :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom