They are a gimmick

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was probably the first customer of this fins - bought it on March 2007 - very very expensive at that time. A bit akward at the beginning and took sometime for me to fully enjoy this great inovation. Very usefull on beach entry diving, still helpfull in the boat particularly if the area is small. Underwater - the fins are very convenient - better than my other 2 fins. In general I am happy and satisfy
But in my opinion, the material quality shall be improved - need stronger material or the bottom part of the heel support shall be more reinforced. After almost 2 years (more 100 dives) these area cracked and then torn. I tried to fix it with super glue but even worst. The other factor might contribute this damage probably the size too large; push more pressure on the sandy beach. Note - I ordered M size but received L and accepted it.

That sounds like quality feedback for the manufacturer. More of that from people and perhaps more people can be sold on them. My issue is the fact that they are new with additional possible "failure points" so I will not get caught up just yet. I see a true potential benefit once they become a bullet proof (just in case bad guys are diving behing me :D) product.

I have probably 80 some dives on my set of flipfins. Where I dive, they are certainaly not a trick or gimmick fin. The work as advertised.

I frequently dive where getting in and out of the ocean is via a set of concrete steps. While others struggle to get up and walkout, I just flip 'em up and walk up the stairs. Easy.
1stdrysuitdive.JPG

They also work well for boat diving. I can move around the pitching deck without tripping.

Giant stride from a tall boat? How easy is this?
dave_greatescape1.jpg

I like them and they do indeed work very well.

I have them and love them (partly).

I found when I when I am on dive boats, such as a live aboard, I struggled at the entry point where you would quickly get in the "figure 4" and put your fins on before entering the water. My knee limitations always made this a harrowing adventure as I tried to steady myself and put on fins.

So when I saw these fins they seemed ideal for me. After getting past the comments from other divers calling me a "Transformer" :) - these fins work perfectly for entry. You put them on first then your BCD/tank and off you go. You easily walk from your station to the entry point like you are walking around in shoes.

Once in the water, the "click" into position on first try almost every time.

However, my one issue is getting back on the boat. Since I am usually on a live aboard and have other paying divers waiting on me I never really have the time to practice getting back up a ladder.

As others have complained, they do fill up with water as you try to walk up a ladder. This filling up makes them pull away from your shins and on some ladders this makes it just too much trouble to efficiently get up the ladder in a timely manner.

I admit, because of where I used them I don't have time to practice. So maybe with some effort on my part I could work on the right ladder technique.

Having said all this, they still remain the answer to my original problem. I am no longer worrying about falling over while standing and putting on fins. I walk easily from my donning station to the entry point. I don't have to "waddle" back on boats where the protocol is to put your fins on and make your way to the entry point.

So for this reason I am a huge fan of the Flip Fins and have no problem taking them off in the water and draping the straps over my wrists and getting back up on the boat like any other fin you wear with a boot.

Interesting. Often a poster will start a thread in an effort to negativity critique a product or service, and the thread ends up being a positive advertisement instead when the fans of the product or service post their praise.

I have seen these fins and dismissed them as a gimmick myself. Now I'm wondering, has anyone put these fins through the tests on kicks like the frog kick, back kick, etc.? I too wonder about the additional failure points. In a wreck or cave, could a fin that inadvertently hits an obstruction somehow swing closed? IOW's, how appropriate are these fins for technical diving? And are they available with spring straps?

I have been using these fins for a few years and have gone through several of the prototypes. I have seen major improvements over time. Suiting up and entries are extremely easy. Sometimes I do have issues when climbing a ladder where they sometimes want to open back up. I change my body angle on the ladder and all is good. And yes, you can get spring and/or "normal" straps. They also come with inserts. I use the fins without the inserts for my dry suit and with the inserts for my wet suit.

Interesting. Often a poster will start a thread in an effort to negativity critique a product or service, and the thread ends up being a positive advertisement instead when the fans of the product or service post their praise.

I have seen these fins and dismissed them as a gimmick myself. Now I'm wondering, has anyone put these fins through the tests on kicks like the frog kick, back kick, etc.? I too wonder about the additional failure points. In a wreck or cave, could a fin that inadvertently hits an obstruction somehow swing closed? IOW's, how appropriate are these fins for technical diving? And are they available with spring straps?

Rick, They work very well for all types of kicks and you can get spring straps for them as well. (They are a very high quality spring as well.)

The inadvertent swinging closed or flipping up did happen on some of the early production fins but that issue has been solved in the newer version.

Are the appropriate fins for technical diving? I don't see why not but then again, I'm not a big fan of wreck or cave diving so maybe someone else (that has used them) will answer that question.

I havent tried them first hand, but I've seen several accounts of people that have these fins or that have used them. One thing that I heard from several was that there is considerable line entanglement hazard with them. I believe it was from the strap buckle, but I'm not positive.

The users say they are quite robust fins with a positve engagement on the lock, but if I was doing any sort of technical dive I'd be too concerned about the possible failure of the hinge or locking mechanism to use them.

I can see why people that do a lot of shore entry in rough conditions may like them (although I wonder if the surge action from waves wouldnt have a tendency to pull the fins down towards the "swim" position) but I can't see them providing any benefit to any of the diving that I personally do.

I love mine.
Most of my diving is from shore where I have to walk 50 or more yards to enter.
These make that trek effortless.
As far as kicks.....well. I had a pair of the early production fins and had a problem with them popping open while using frog kicks.
I returned them, no questions asked, for a newer model and haven't had a problem since.
They even paid the shipping on the new pair.
Omega Aquatics flip fins are AWESOME....

Is Omega ever going to produce them in a medium size? For the ladies? I'd be interested for shore diving/snorkelling if they actually had my size.

Is Omega ever going to produce them in a medium size? For the ladies? I'd be interested for shore diving/snorkelling if they actually had my size.

Are you talking fin length or pocket size. My daughter uses them. She's a size 8 shoe and has no issues.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom