Things I learned in first 20 dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Addition:

If I lost 30 pounds diving would be easier, I would probably use less air and weight.

I don't enjoy seeing myself in a wetsuit. Can't imagine other people's view.

Wearing a swimsuit with velcro on pockets under wetsuit causes problems.

Saudi Diver is right about the loud person.

Seeing my first green eel was awesome. Watching the loud guy torment it for ten minutes sucked.

It is possible to buy too many T shirts with dive flags on it.

Don't wear one of those T shirts on a dive op boat that is an advertisement for his competitor. Yes, I did this.

If your dive buddy freaks out when he can't clear his mask properly the first time at 50 feet, making fun of him over a Dos Equis does NOT strengthen your bond.

Don't assume the small, older lady on the boat is somebody that needs exta attention. As it turns out, she may be a rescue diver who has traveled the globe diving and shows you your first nurse shark, lobster and eel.

I tend to sympathize with the first two items...

And I have never even been diving yet!!

Thanks for the informative and interesting post!

I'm not to 20 dives yet, but I learned that a shore dive with a gradual descent to 45 feet makes buoyancy control seem easy. Reality check comes when I jumped in and went straight to 65 feet to look at a wreck and swim around the rocky boulder area changing depth from 60 to 30 feet every few minutes. I was everywhere.

Fins do matter, I've got some HOG fins and could easily keep up with the divemaster and my insta bud although they were kicking to beat all hell in the cheap rental fins swimming against current.

If your diving in Europe, PSIG screws up people. I need to make it more clear, 3 is great 2 is ok, 1, we are about done. Really it goes back to having really good communication pre dive. I never told them I had a different pressure gauge then them. I can do the math but they were confused due to poor communication on my part.

Last edited:
Addition:

If I lost 30 pounds diving would be easier, I would probably use less air and weight.

I don't enjoy seeing myself in a wetsuit. Can't imagine other people's view.

It is possible to buy too many T shirts with dive flags on it.

I can relate whole hartedly with your first point, I look like a pregnant guppy in my wetsuit and the T shirts, the answer is NO! :D

Just got back from Coz, had a blast with SandDollar. Looking at gettin back for C-mas maybe? Drift Diving Rules!!!

If you can't get your buddy to shut up and quit talking to the pot heads that A: Aren't interested in anything but treasure in a land locked reservoir, and B: keep trying to convince you that you have drugs to sell them. Simply drop just under the surface where you can't hear them and breath through your snorkel until he decides to join you.

I didn't forget the bungee cord when I was in Hawaii, but I did forget to equalize the pressure in my mask on the descent. I realized this at about 50' down, that took a bit of work to clear up. Got two black eyes from the experience to boot.

I would have to say the biggest things I have learned in diving are to slow down and stay calm.
For a guy who has gone a 100 mph most of his life, it was not that much of an ajustment to make, and it has helped me out of the water as well. :coffee:

Lot's of good info here, thanx to all who care to share their wisdom!

At dive #21, I learned a very important thing.....don't rely on others to have a signal device. Was in Costa Rica in fast current, surfaced out of sight of the boat. Floated for 10 minutes without contact and getting pushed further out to sea. A different boat spotted us and took us to our boat. The DM didn't have a sausage or whistle. I had a whistle, but left my sausage at home. Never again will I rely on someone else for my well being.

I am currently on dive 13, so far this is what i have learned. :admin:

Just because you feel like a fish doesn't mean you can move like one.
You don't swim around with your hands.
On your first night dive, the first time you see an octopus it will render you speechless and immobile.
After a day of diving, it's easy to take a nap.
Alcohol has an intesified effect after a day of diving.
Learning in the pool can't prepare you for the environmental sensory shock that is your first ow dive.
Calming yourself on the way to a dive sites helps your dive.
No matter how careful you are with your equipment during a shore dive, you still get sand everywhere.
Pool practice is always valuable.
Even after diving the same site several times, it turns into a competely different workd at night.
Just like falling off a horse, when you have a bad dive you must get back in there. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom