Thinking about Belize, Where to stay? What is there to do?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Either contact lenses or a good prescription mask is an absolute necessity for those of us who are "visually impaired." As a lifelong glasses wearer, I'm well aware that no matter what you're doing, you can't enjoy yourself if you can't see well.

When I first got into scuba, I tried using contacts but they were just too much hassle, so I quickly switched to a prescription (bifocal) mask. It's just like wearing my glasses underwater and makes all the difference in the world.

There are several shops that provide this service, but I've been very happy with Prescription Dive Masks in San Diego. Per their website, they can put any prescription in any mask. They sell a limited number of masks online, but for obvious reasons I prefer to buy my own and mail it to them along with a copy of my current prescription and phone number. Once received, they'll call to get your credit card number. You'll get the mask back in about two weeks.

A prescription dive mask makes for an expensive piece of dive gear but is well worth every penny.

hi there ,
ambergris caye is fantastic !!! and you can get your land tours in aswell as a stack of diving.
if you have any questions drop me a note .
thanks
ian
ecologic divers

There are several ways to get to Placencia. In addition to Maya Island and Tropic flights (both of which you can book on line), you could rent a car at the international airport (although you can also rent a car or golf cart in Placencia depending on what other things you want to do), or you could catch a bus out of Belize City but you need to get from the international airport at Ladyville into the city . If you book a package with Splash, you can select a package with flight from the international airport to Placencia. Depending on when you arrive, I may be able to pick you up at the airport as I go to Belize City from time to time.

One of my favorite trips was my second trip to Belize with my girlfriend. We started in San Pedro, then went inland to San Ignacio. We did the ATM tour (amazing), some other outdoorsy stuff, then took a cab to the border. Then we hopped a ride on the other side and drove to Tikal. We stayed at the jaguar lodge and did the sunrise tour at Tikal. After that, we hitched a ride to Flores, which is a city that sits in the middle of a lake and was the last Mayan stronghold. From there we took a flight back to BZE (just us and the pilot in a tiny plane) and wrapped it all up with a few more days on Caye Caulker.

Personally, I prefer Caye Caulker over San Pedro any day of the week. Less touristy, much better food and ambience.

Either way, you can't go wrong with Belize!

My wife and I just got back from Little Cayman and now we're thinking about a fall trip and Belize is a possibility.

We heard about AC and it sounds good for diving but we like to do other things too and our impression is that there isn't much else to do there besides diving so we thought the mainland might be better. We talked to some divers on Little Cayman and they said that if you stay on the mainland they go to the same dive sites so the boat ride is 1 1/2 hours each way instead of 15-20 minutes on AC. Is this true or are there good diving sites within a reasonable boat ride of the mainland or even better any shore diving. Karen has a problem with seasickness so a 1 1/2 hour boat ride just won't work for us.

Doug

If by "mainland" you mean Belize City than I would not stay there. It's a dump. The dive ops in that area are going to head out to the same reef but AC and Caye Caulker are in a better area of the reef. I think Placencia has better access to Turneffe Atoll and the Blue Hole which will be a bit of a boat ride from either location. The only time I like going to Belize City is when I'm catching the water taxi out of there!

Skyward, Ambergris Caye has its own dive sites right in front, about half mile off shore. In the south, the reef is from 10-15 miles out...Placencia is more like a 20 mile ride. The ride out is relatively calm since you're inside the barrier reef. It's a little choppy on stiff trade wind days but not bad in a 35 foot or longer boat. The ride is more like 45 minutes most days.

I think Placencia has better access to Turneffe Atoll and the Blue Hole which will be a bit of a boat ride from either location.

Placencia is far from Turneffe and the Blue Hole (Lighthouse Reef) compared to Belize City. The Elbow is just a little north east of Dangriga. Actually Belize City is a good launch place to Turneffe because you're in the lee of it after you cross the reef on a tradewind day. Nice smooth ride to the south end and the Elbow.

Skyward

Ambergris caye is the most developed area in Belize and the main tourist destination which means it offers more to do than any other area of Belize

In addition to the diving which is literally 5 minutes offshore (no long boat rides to the reef) you can do day trips from the island to

Cave Tubing and Jungle Ziplining
Lamanaii Jungle river adventure
Manatee watching
Altun Ha Mayan Ruin river trip
Xuantunich Mayan day trip
trip to neibouring island caye caulker

also on offer when you are not diving

Ultralight flights over the island
Jet skis
parasailing
water skiing
explore the island by Golf Cart
Go see the crocodiles

this is just a small fraction of what you can do from Ambergris. I dont beleive there is another destination in Belize that has as much to offer as Ambergris Caye

take a look at Belize Vacations, Tours, Resorts, News, Hotels, Travels, Flights, Weather, Maps, Real Estate for an indepth look at what the island offers

regards

Gaz Cooper
www.DiveBelize.com

My wife and I just got back from Little Cayman and now we're thinking about a fall trip and Belize is a possibility.

We heard about AC and it sounds good for diving but we like to do other things too and our impression is that there isn't much else to do there besides diving so we thought the mainland might be better.

Doug

Doug,

What are the "other things" that you and your wife would like to do besides diving? I haven't been to AC but my understanding's that there's a fair amount of night life and other stuff there, so if that's what you're looking for maybe someone who knows the place can chime in.

On the other hand, there are a ton of other things to do on the mainland, like touring Mayan ruins, jungle exploration, stuff like that. You may want to break up your vacation by staying a few days on the mainland, then head over to AC or vice-versa.

My wife and I are in the early planning stages to do just that. We'll stay on the mainland for three nights and check out the Lamanai ruins, go cave tubing and do a jungle tour, before boating out to Turneffe Island Resort for a week, where by design there's nothing to do but dive, eat and sleep.

P.S. Oops, Gaz posted above while I was drafting mine.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom