Thinking about Belize, Where to stay? What is there to do?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You should consider Placencia as there is a lot to do here for your non-diving wife and some very good diving for you. Forty percent of Belize is protected as various types of reserves. If you look at a map of Belize, you will see that most of these are in the south and if you look at the locations for Maya ruins, most of these are also in the south. Placencia has has very interesting tours located within one hour of Placencia (Monkey River is only 1/2 hour away). Placencia is known as "the caye you can drive to" and has lots of good restaurants and hotels/resorts with a range of prices that will fit almost any budget. Also Placencia is known for having the best beaches in Belize stretching 16 miles along the peninsula. You can check out Splash Dive Shop for both diving, snorkelling, tours and accommodation @ Splashbelize.com

You should consider Placencia as there is a lot to do here for your non-diving wife and some very good diving for you. Forty percent of Belize is protected as various types of reserves. If you look at a map of Belize, you will see that most of these are in the south and if you look at the locations for Maya ruins, most of these are also in the south. Placencia has has very interesting tours located within one hour of Placencia (Monkey River is only 1/2 hour away). Placencia is known as "the caye you can drive to" and has lots of good restaurants and hotels/resorts with a range of prices that will fit almost any budget. Also Placencia is known for having the best beaches in Belize stretching 16 miles along the peninsula. You can check out Splash Dive Shop for both diving, snorkelling, tours and accommodation @ Splashbelize.com

How does one get to Placencia?

You fly there from the International Airport.

You fly there from the International Airport.

So what international airport might that be? Do you fly into Belize city then a commuter to Placencia? Do you take a bus to Placencia? Do you take a Ferry to Placencia?

There is only one international airport in Belize and most visitors enter the country there. Tropic & Maye both operate flights to Placencia, via Dangriga.

Tropic Air is the best short hop airline I've ever come across anywhere in the world.

So is there any chance your wife will take up scuba? My wife is my buddy - works great. She started slowly - I was carefull not to push her into anything she was not comfortable with and now she loves it. Now I don't have to worry about some stranger roomate on a liveaboard.

So is there any chance your wife will take up scuba? My wife is my buddy - works great. She started slowly - I was carefull not to push her into anything she was not comfortable with and now she loves it. Now I don't have to worry about some stranger roomate on a liveaboard.

I am working on it. It has taken me 5 years to talk her in to snorkeling the second time. I am being very careful not to push too hard. The idea of a "stranger roomate" on a liveaboard may make for an effortless push :D:D. I would really rather have her along. :D

The first time she tried snorkeling was in Hawaii. She can't see well at all so she didn't enjoy it. The second time she tried, she had fallen down the stairs at the airport in Hilo and had broken both ankles. We had found her a rental prescription lens mask (Snorkel Bob's in Honolulu). She was determined but the ankle thing made it way too painful to even walk to the water. That was 5 years ago. I bought her her own mask, snorkel, fins and 1 ml rash gaurd, she actually took a snorkel lesson. She enjoyed it. I am still working with her. I think getting comfortable while snorkeling may be enough but she still swears she is afraid of water. Time will tell.

There are some very supportive and patient snorkel guides here, and I will be surprised if she doesn't have a good time. Ditto for scuba instructors if she feels so minded.....

Breaking BOTH ankles in a fall down stairs is incredibly unlucky!

There are some very supportive and patient snorkel guides here, and I will be surprised if she doesn't have a good time. Ditto for scuba instructors if she feels so minded.....

Breaking BOTH ankles in a fall down stairs is incredibly unlucky!

The escalator was broken that morning. We had to use the stairs. She was following me and then I saw the streak come by my head, she looked like she was doing a cartwheel down the steps. She staggered around on the ankles for 3 weeks after we got home. I made her go to the Doctor.

Anyway, thanks for the thoughts and the idea of a snorkel guide, I hadn't thought of that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom