Thinking about switching to a smaller system

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

robint

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
So after dragging around a mid-sized camcorder, housing, light, battery, charger... basically 12 lbs worth of gear that filled 1 entire carryon bag, I am thinking of downsizing!

So ... with what is out there right now, and considering price, should I really look at the GoPro (I would want to add on a tray and arm for stability, red filter, and blur reduction lens.. keep price under $500 if possible)
OR
should I go with the JVC http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=IkeliteJVCUnderwaterVideoCameraDeluxePackage package for around $700 including the light.

2010VideoRig328.jpg

Here I am with what I currently use:
2010Robin331.jpg

Hi Robin:

I have a Canon HV10/Ikelite and a GoPro 1 with Mako flat lens + internal drop in filter .

The Canon gives me better video, especially in low light. The Canon is also more versatile since you can zoom and change lens/ports. The GoPro 1 120+ field of view is great for wrecks, or close to large subjects, but is really too wide for most shots. From what I've read the main GoPro 2 improvements over the original are improvements in low light and ability to change the field of view to 90 deg. 90 deg is still wider than you generally want for typical Caribbean creature/fish shooting. For comparison, your Canon with standard Ikelite port is around 45 deg.

I think your Canon system is similar to mine video wise. I really doubt the new GoPro 2 will give you better video. However, it is tiny and very inexpensive for what you get. I would keep your Canon and get the GoPro for snorkeling, super wide angle shallow dives, topside wet situations and unique shots.

If you want to keep costs down, go for the original at $200, buy the flat port from Mako for $20. For $80 more you can buy the Hero2 motorsports version with flat port from Mako. It includes a suction cup mount which is great for inside/outside a car. I can cut you a piece of filter sheet for an internal drop in.

I saw that you had a GoPro and wondered what you thought of it. I have mixed feelings.
I think I want something between what I current have and the GoPro. The JVC looks to be that... don't know if you have seen the video on Ikelite website: IKELITE Underwater Systems
On the left, click on the video to load. It does have great topside abilities, it seems, and underwater it is okay using the red filter and light. For $700, I am tempted. And since we only do 1 trip a year now (with a few small weekend hops out to Calif, etc.) it just seems a waste to have the big rig.

If I get this smaller rig... my current rig will be sold here or on ebay. I have about $3000 worth of gear in that rig total, so I can't see just letting it sit. I could make someone a heck of a deal. (camcorder, WA lens, Housing, lights, batteries and chargers).

I would chose the GoPro 2 over the JVC.

It sounds like you are in a similar situation as I was when I decided to sell my main system. Be prepared for the possibility of not finding a buyer for the amount you want to sell for. You may get to a point where the market value is so low it might not be worth it to you to sell.

You also might want to consider if you will have any future video opportunities where you wish you had your bigger, better system. That was the deciding factor for me. I have been lucky to dive amazing places and even more lucky to get it on HD video. For me, there really is not much more on my UW video "Bucket List", so I decided to sell my big system. Maybe you are at that point too ?

However, if you can afford it, there are advantages to having more than one video system. Multi camera shooting gives you a lot of creative opportunities.

Yeah... I figure I won't get much for my rig. It is frustrating. Since we are heading back to Cozumel in March, I want to make a decision soon.
I am at that point where shooting videos is fun, but I have been there done that with most critters, sharks, mantas, etc. I don't know that I am going to get anything underwater that it will matter these days. And with Ron having his Dslr camera, and us diving together, he can always get a still of something cool.
I may end up not taking the video housing/lights at all. I might just shoot topside video with my camcorder and save the hassle.
About the only place we are going in the near future that it would really matter is maybe calif kelp. But I have a dozen dives there on video already.... with really cool stuff. So I don't know.

Uggghhh........... my head is spinning from researching this topic all day! I really haven't kept up with the market for still cameras or video cameras, so it is all bleeding together right now.

robin

That's the sad thing about getting rid of your old stuff. You almost have to give it away or price it so low it pains you to do so. I still travel with my L&M Stingray + with the Sunray 1000 lights. I haven't taken a trip without it since I purchased it but may start to do so in the future unless I'm going to a brand new destination. Just how many different ways can a person shoot uw video in Bonaire or the Caymans.

...... I haven't taken a trip without it since I purchased it but may start to do so in the future unless I'm going to a brand new destination. Just how many different ways can a person shoot uw video in Bonaire or the Caymans.

I know how you feel. After a while everything in the Caribbean starts to look the same and you have to really seek out destinations with something unique. Funny you mention Bonaire and Caymans. Those were my last 2 destinations in the Caribbean. Bonaire had literally nothing for me UW that I had not already seen and recorded many times before. Grand Cayman at least had Stingray City and Devil's Grotto

I know how you feel. After a while everything in the Caribbean starts to look the same and you have to really seek out destinations with something unique. Funny you mention Bonaire and Caymans. Those were my last 2 destinations in the Caribbean. Bonaire had literally nothing for me UW that I had not already seen and recorded many times before. Grand Cayman at least had Stingray City and Devil's Grotto

I was in Grand Cayman this past December and I did get to film our DM killing lionfish and then he would show it to an eel and coax him out of his hole to have a meal. The wreck of the Kittywake was also not bad I guess. My next trip is the Aqua Cat so I'm sure I'll take it there over the 4th of July. Then in the fall some of us are headed back to Little Cayman. Not sure if I'll carry it then or not but probably will as I seem to get into this mindset that the one dive I don't take it I'll miss the shot of a lifetime. Got a killer price on the LC trip if anyone is interested as we all share in the free spots.

So if I do buy the GoPro Hero2 surf edition... $299, and the LCD monitor is $80 and makes the unit double in size.. how does it fit into the housing? Is there another piece of housing that I would need to buy or does it come with the monitor?

I also see on BHphotovideo that they have some nice little trays with handles for $99. It says fits any housing less than 3" wide. That would fit, right?

The Blurfix is ???

Just trying to price things out.

I know all about the go pro hero “hype” but it will be worth to take a look at the Kodak ZX5 which is about 120 in amazon plus 250 ikelite housing with the blue water filter, you can shoot 1080 p at 30, or 720p at 60hz..

Here is some sample video from Dominican republic i took, i did not put the blue water filter, i was using lamp…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4kXgM1DZgI&feature=youtube_gdata_player

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9r-BLMsGuY&feature=youtube_gdata_player

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom