Thinking about switching to a smaller system

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am talking about a complete system. For a GoPro, handles are not all that necessary when you are trying to keep it small and light.
concept.jpg

I am talking about a complete system. For a GoPro, handles are not all that necessary when you are trying to keep it small and light.
View attachment 112709

I still have my full rig... housing with light, and I am still debating what to do.
If I were to get the GoPro, I would want a tray and handle, but maybe only 1 strobe. Not sure though. That arm in the photos is exactly what I have for my Ikelite light right now. I bet I could attach a GoPro to the tray and arm, then attach the honkin' big battery under the tray... but then I might be right back to almost the same size rig as now.

Uggghh... our trip is 6 weeks away and I still can't decide!!
My husband wants me to shoot video. He thinks I will be unhappy if I don't.

robin:uwphotographer:

So after dragging around a mid-sized camcorder, housing, light, battery, charger... basically 12 lbs worth of gear

Certainly more weight is harder to travel with, but would more housing weight help with video stability?

Certainly more weight is harder to travel with, but would more housing weight help with video stability?

yes, absolutely! Underwater it is a greater advantage to have a larger system... unless there is current, or other difficult conditions, when it can feel like you are dragging around an anchor. I have had that happen on a few dives and on one I almost ditched my video rig for personal safety.

robin

Here is a video I shot a few weeks ago in Key Largo on the wreck of the Benwood. It is shot with the GoPro 2 with Blurfix & URPRO CY filter and mounted on a Bonica tray with 2 L&M sola 1200's. The tray makes it a lot more stable and the lights help bring out the colors. The lights were not used all the time on the following video, but were used at some points. Max depth was around 40 feet with current and surge. The only thing I did in software was a white balance. This is a great little camera for the size and price!

[video=vimeo;35778254]http://vimeo.com/35778254[/video]

yes, I saw that video and I agree it works nicely, but you spent over $1000 on it. I have no intentions of spending that much on a new smaller system as I have about $3000 invested in my current system. I really cannot justify that $$$ expense to get lower quality than what I currently own.

What I want is a smaller system for under $700 max, preferably in the $500 range. I may just wait to see where the GoPro goes in the next year. It may be an option, but not with so many bells and whistles.

robin

yes, I saw that video and I agree it works nicely, but you spent over $1000 on it. I have no intentions of spending that much on a new smaller system as I have about $3000 invested in my current system. I really cannot justify that $$$ expense to get lower quality than what I currently own.

What I want is a smaller system for under $700 max, preferably in the $500 range. I may just wait to see where the GoPro goes in the next year. It may be an option, but not with so many bells and whistles.

robin

Robin, like you said in your other post, you could use your Ikelite tray and lights with the GoPro. The GoPro itself is tiny compared to the size and weight of your Canon and Ike housing. Not really fair to include the costs of the extras when you already have them. The GoPro 2 is $300. Your footage will not be as good as your Canon, but it will be smaller and lighter to travel/dive with.

Technology is making big jumps. It will be interesting to see what comes out next. On the consumer end it seems like the market is driving things toward smaller, cheaper, more convenient multi task features, not necessarily towards big improvements in video quality.

Robin, like you said in your other post, you could use your Ikelite tray and lights with the GoPro. The GoPro itself is tiny compared to the size and weight of your Canon and Ike housing. Not really fair to include the costs of the extras when you already have them. The GoPro 2 is $300. Your footage will not be as good as your Canon, but it will be smaller and lighter to travel/dive with.

Technology is making big jumps. It will be interesting to see what comes out next. On the consumer end it seems like the market is driving things toward smaller, cheaper, more convenient multi task features, not necessarily towards big improvements in video quality.

yeah, I keep looking at different systems and I just can't find one that makes me excited.
I may just get the GoPro, try to put a tray for it together, and take it along with my current system to Cozumel. Then I can dive with one or the other and make lots of videos to compare.
Ron really wants to get one of these little dudes for diving with his tech buddies ... so it will be dual purpose. Still deciding though.
GoPro Hero2..... $300
Backscatter flatport housing.......$119
red filter for that housing.........$39
port cap...........$10
tray.........?
monitor back.... $80
additional battery....

it adds up!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom