Thinking about switching to a smaller system

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The GoPro is amazing for it's size and price. However, when you start adding all this extra stuff, it's easy to spend more on the stuff than the GoPro itself.

It kind of reminds me of the Pontiac Fiero. People used to modify the Fiero to look like a Ferrari. If I was drunk enough yeah, the Fiero kinda looked like a Ferrari, but it still drove like a friggin Fiero.

buton - I had seriously considered that one, but on the news last week they were discussing that Kodak will be filing bankruptcy soon, so I am not sure I want to buy one of their products.

speaking of the GoPro........... has everyone seen this:

[video=youtube;GUEZCxBcM78]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUEZCxBcM78[/video]

It kind of reminds me of the Pontiac Fiero. People used to modify the Fiero to look like a Ferrari. If I was drunk enough yeah, the Fiero kinda looked like a Ferrari, but it still drove like a friggin Fiero.
That was so very true...lol....

The Blurfix is ???
...found here: About Our Products You are looking for the $146 option. You will also need to spring for another housing as once you mount the Blurfix, you won't want to remove it. Best source for another housing: GoPro HD Replacement Quick-Release Housing - Product #: AHDRH-001 - PointofViewCameras.com

As to why to choose the GoPro over the candybar style handhelds?? Field of view. You already know that you lose 25% of your FOV underwater, GoPro still has about a 90 degrees FOV left where as most of the handhelds are down to around 30.

As to which edition to get, unless you plan to surf with this, get the outdoor edition or maybe even the motorsports edition. They come with a better collection of mounts and it is considerably cheaper to add a surf mount to one of those packages than it is to add those mounts to a surf edition.

As far to which tray to get?? You can get decent trays for under $40 at B&H.

And finally, you might want to take a look at Backscatter's package which includes the light and housing with underwater lens: Backscatter GoPro Starter System with Sola 500. I would however upgrade to the Sola 800. (Eventually you will probably want 2 of them)

As for the monitor, it can wait. You probably will find you don't really need it. And if you leave it running, it zaps your battery. Two of the most important additions you can buy however are a standalone external wall charger and an SD card reader. GoPros can have bad (sometimes fatal) reactions to being plugged into a computer.

Hello,

I was in the same boat a year ago when deciding to downsize. I went from the Sony hvr-a1u in an Amphibico Endeavor housing with a Quad Head Nocturnal light system, to using the GoPro. I was tired of lugging all the extra equipment through Airports, Customs, then into the hotels, plus paying the extra baggage fees. I found myself working more than enjoying my vacation or the diving. Since I don't shoot for broadcast the GoPro works fine for me.

Disclaimer: Yes I am a GoPro Dealer and Distributor for the BlurFix, but I'm also a diver and Underwater Videographer.

[video=youtube_share;IT3oAlNiyPU]http://youtu.be/IT3oAlNiyPU[/video]

what does the blur fix do over the mako flat lens port ?

Options! BlurFix Flat Lens Feature Description.

As to which edition to get, unless you plan to surf with this, get the outdoor edition or maybe even the motorsports edition. They come with a better collection of mounts and it is considerably cheaper to add a surf mount to one of those packages than it is to add those mounts to a surf edition.

As far to which tray to get?? You can get decent trays for under $40 at B&H.

where on BH ?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom