Thinking about switching to a smaller system

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yeah, I keep looking at different systems and I just can't find one that makes me excited.
I may just get the GoPro, try to put a tray for it together, and take it along with my current system to Cozumel. Then I can dive with one or the other and make lots of videos to compare.
Ron really wants to get one of these little dudes for diving with his tech buddies ... so it will be dual purpose. Still deciding though.
GoPro Hero2..... $300
Backscatter flatport housing.......$119
red filter for that housing.........$39
port cap...........$10
tray.........?
monitor back.... $80
additional battery....

it adds up!

Options, options, options. Great to have options to suit your needs, wants and budget.

GoPro Hero 2...$300
Flat port....Free if you buy the GoPro from Mako or Pursuit
Drop in filter... $7 for a 22"x22" sheet that you can cut to make dozens of filters for drop in or a homemade external

This gets you going for minimal cost. The other stuff can be added later if you feel you really need it. Big question is do you really need it and/or will it improve your footage enough to make the $$ worthwhile. The answer is different for each of us.

Go with GoPro2. Forget the tray and lights, just shoot video as lights are only needed for stills. I have both Mako and Eye of Mine cases, I prefer EoM because I shoot usually in 4:3 format because diving has both vertical and horizontal dimensions and vingetting is far less with EoM. I do not understand why some use filters because necessarily a filter reduces the amount of light entering the camera, I prefer to reduce the blue by increasing red gain during editing (and I can adjust the gain as conditions require instead of "one size fits all"). I do not use the LCD back because it sucks up battery and adds little to filming, it is far easier to just point and shoot. Check out these recent vids:
Giant Pacific Ocean Manta Ray Lays a Bomb in HD - YouTube

Great White Shark Encounter - YouTube

Fiji: Product Comparison: Eye of Mine vs. Mako Speargun Flat Lens Cases for GoPro Camera - YouTube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0ERjOMHbj0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yh_AWIHoZg

Disclosure: I recently bought a HD2 and extra case from EoM and was given $10 off shipping in consideration of the tens of thousands of views of my various "side by side" comparisons of various cases but I have no other connection with EoM.

Last edited:
yes, I saw that video and I agree it works nicely, but you spent over $1000 on it. I have no intentions of spending that much on a new smaller system as I have about $3000 invested in my current system. I really cannot justify that $$$ expense to get lower quality than what I currently own.

What I want is a smaller system for under $700 max, preferably in the $500 range. I may just wait to see where the GoPro goes in the next year. It may be an option, but not with so many bells and whistles.

robin

$299 for the Gopro2 & $154 for the Blurfix and filter and a $50 tray = $503 for my set up less the lights, Which i only used on a few shots in that video. As long as you have ambient light the camera works great, once it starts getting dark you are going to need lights for any system. I bought the lights because i cave dive and in total darkness you need the lights. Just as I needed them in 40' of water on some of those shots. Also I bought them because I wanted a better Video system down the road, which I just bought and used for the first time today and it worked great with the lights in our local crappy quarry today!

If you dive shallow and on very sunny days the gorpo 2 is great, get into a little dark areas and it is going to get grainy on you with out lights.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom