Thinking of Packing it in...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for all the replies and encouragement. For the record I’m 5’10” and weigh in at about 185 lbs. I’m a bit over weight but certainly not obese. Problem is waist is larger than hips. The wet suit I was using was 2 piece kind of thing with a jacket over the main suit so, some of it was probably 14mm. I was warm in the 48 degree water. And yep losing it at depth would not be a good thing. I am frustrated with the process and the lack of support from the LDS. It’s been a long time since my original certification and since my last dive. Shoot I had never even worn a BCD until my confined water dives.........

@MJS1946 Don't give up! there is way too much enjoyment and fun to be had diving. I am by no means an expert (hell I am still a novice at best) but I am learning each time I get in the water. As to the weight thing We are about the same height but I weigh a bit more (230) but my the fresh water setup l use (just did a few last month) is - 5mm wet suit, AL 80 tank (most common out there), Weight integrated BCD (yes fins mask snorkel Reg) my weighting for that is 16 lbs 2-5 pound shot bags in integrated pouch at my waist and 2- 3 pound shot bags in trim pockets on back for the same setup in salt I add 2 pounds to each waist pocket and I get down very easily. I say all that because I bet we are shaped pretty similar ( my belly is probably protrudes out a bit farther). So don't give up and enjoy the warm water scene.
Welcome aboard here glad to have you around. The gang here is great and you will find a ton of useful info and advice from them.

For the record I’m 5’10” and weigh in at about 185 lbs

Just to give you an example of how overweighted you might have been, I'm 6' and 170lb currently, but even when I was 185lb, I wore no weight in freshwater and 4lb in saltwater with a BPW and a 7mm. If I were you, I would just avoid cold water diving altogether until you are more comfortable. I typically dive 5mm or dry, purposefully avoiding 7mm if possible because it's not comfortable to move in. With more experience, you'll be also able to use less weight.

And to be honest, I'd switch shops. Instructors are supposed to be there to help you.

Thanks again for the encouragement. No more cold water diving for me! The local dive shop continues to be silent. At the least I feel I deserve a partial refund because the non certification wasn’t really my fault (which they’ve confirmed). So, they will not be seeing any more business from me. They could have had repeated trip bookings, but not now.

I have decided to proceed, however, and have booked my OW dives for Maui in late October. They’ve (the Maui shop) indicated I won’t need a pool refresher (even though a dive master from my failed dive offered one-but the LDS would not allow it). If things go well, I’ll be purchasing a BCD at the least from them-instead of locally. So, the adventure continues. At least for now. Thanks again for the support.

Agree the instructor should've retrieved your slipped belt and you could continue. Harness is a great idea. I use dive suspenders and a pocket weight belt. In warmer water with just a shorty suit, I use only 18 pounds and all in the BC. Don't give up--seems you have a lot of time & $ already invested.

Short background: I was first certified in 1969 (yes, i’m old). I lost my cert card many years ago and was not able to get a replacement card for various reasons. Went to an agency that supposedly searched various places to get a replacement card and actually got some bogus card from their own certification organization. So, I went to a PADI shop, but failed to get a doc sign off for asthma. Fast forward 2 years and finally got a doc to sign off on the asthma as it’s no longer an issue. All that was last fall. Did the academics and confined water dives last November and was scheduled to do the OW dives in Hawaii In January. Fell on the ice just prior to the Hawaii trip and had 9 staples in my head-didn’t do the OW dives. Started to do the OW dives locally in a lake in cold water in May, but due to a really thick wet suit and an odd body was not able to keep the 40 pound weight belt on, eventually losing it in 15 feet of water. Was not able to recover it and join the dive.

Am again scheduled to go to HI again in October and will be within the 12 month period for the referral program. Went back to the LDS to get a pool dive in before then, but don’t seem to be getting any cooperation from them (probably fed up with me). The fee for the referral dive on Maui is $375, plus what I’ve already paid out is making the whole deal a bit cost prohibitive. After all this hassle, I’m now asking myself if it’s worth the bother, especially if I can’t get in a pool session before Hawaii. Has anyone else had a similar test getting certified and was it worth it?

Thanks!

I read much of this thread and what stands out in my mind is the weights. It sounds like you might be "well-insulated" and won't need much of a wet suit in Hawai'i. Many people dive with only a 3mm shorty suit which only takes a few pounds to sink and will easily fit into the weight pockets on a BC. I weigh about 170 and with my 2.5mm full suit and an AL80 I need 17 pounds so I don't think you'll need anywhere near 40 pounds. I used weight belts up until around 2016 and now I try to avoid them.

I too was certified in '69 but I'm lucky because I still have my C-card and was able to get an updated card without too much hassle. As someone pointed out, a two-tank boat dive will cost you around $125 and two trips would be $250, so that is money you would spend anyways to go diving.

Happy 50th year of diving! I just celebrated my 50th in Loreto, BCS :) Don't put anything off 'til tomorrow because we might not be here to enjoy it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom