Thirteen Lives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I guess I am doing something wrong, we tried watching this, but we cannot get any english (watched first 45 minutes or so) and no subtitles! Sure its a good film, but not having a clue about what is being said is very dissapointing, is this normal or are others seeing subtitles in English or having english language dubbed over?
If you had continued watching most of the film was in English. I understood what was happening near the beginning without knowing the language, their actions were clear.

So it’s just the first 45 minutes to an hour that has no English? Will continue watching and see if English appears..

Watching thirteen felt like I was watching the Rescue all over again, but with actors. Which of course is exactly what it is. I turned it off half way through, but I really really loved the rescue

Watching thirteen felt like I was watching the Rescue all over again, but with actors. Which of course is exactly what it is. I turned it off half way through, but I really really loved the rescue
That is exactly how I felt. I felt like this was a less authentic (or acted out) version of the story that had already been told. I was able to finish 13 lives, but was bored for the most part. Similar to you, I loved The Rescue, however.

I guess I am doing something wrong, we tried watching this, but we cannot get any english (watched first 45 minutes or so) and no subtitles! Sure its a good film, but not having a clue about what is being said is very dissapointing, is this normal or are others seeing subtitles in English or having english language dubbed over?
We didn't need English to understand what was going on. Subtitles were sparse at the beginning but really not necessary. As others have said, about 45 minutes in they started speaking English as far as the main characters and there was more translating. But in the beginning the events told the story clearly/ Ron Howard wanted the event to be the star and focus of the movie and it was.

A lot of small details struck me as things that likely happened, like the empty water bottles bungeed between the kid's feet. The Thai Seal saying "The old men found the boys!" sounds like something that wasn't made up, and it illustrates their mindset. "What are these old men going to do that the best trained 21-year-old military divers can't?" The other revealing scene is when they reach the kids and realize only one had enough gas to get out, so it's now a rescue within a rescue. My friend is a US Navy SEAL, and was a diver during his service. We were out surfing the day after the kids were located, discussing it and he said "Knock them out, put a full face mask on them, and drag them out of there!" I told him that he was completely insane, and he said "Well, they are going to die anyway..."

I was curious about the scuffed knuckles... so cave divers don't wear gloves? It was one of the first things I noticed... what's the reason behind this? Also I noticed the yellow fins and masks... also seemed odd since I figured most cave divers would want black... and also short fins, not recreational dive fins... just looked weird to me and I've been wanting to ask around. Thanks.

Glove usage is mixed in cave diving. Obviously when required for cold water they are used. Outside that fingerless gloves are becoming more common in Florida less common in Mexico. No idea about what the CDG uses.

Colored gear is very common in cave diving. And longer hybrid designs like Mares Quarttro are common.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom