This blows me away!!!!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sylvain:
For the last few days I have been looking at the profile of most members that put threads and this really got me going!

How can people be certified 1 year and have between 299-400 dives?????????

There must be some B>>>> going around or else everybody that is in Scuba diving as a hobby, are lottery winners and can dive every day of the year. I mean even if you only dive on weekend that would req you to dive 2-3 time each week end (sometime more) just in order to meet that number. Maybee my math is wrong if so can someone explain to me how they can do it and keep a job that will give them enought money to be able to do that.

Lets see Hobby is the 18th word right after "a" and before "are" I should at least remember what I posted....

Some folks live in areas where diving is very accessible, and dive more than just on week-ends.

Around where I live, it's not all that unusual for serious divers to get in more than 300 dives per year ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

wardric:
yeah, but warm water dives dont count :wink: :popcorn:

I've noticed that! Can't get no respect unless you play with ankle weights for the space suit. And without multiple cylinders, you are ...nothing. That is why I don't bother to log, my dives are not be worthy.

Some of us are really enthusiastic about diving. I live in Ontario, and dive all year long. I dive almost every weekend, usually multiple times, and often in the evenings. I can drive to a lot of good shore dives in about 1 hour, and some crappy shore dives in just a few minutes. It's all about whether you're enthusiastic enough to dive that often.

Back when I just dove single-tank, I would do more dives in a day, because I'd have to come up when I got low on air. Now that I have doubles, I do 2-3 hour dives often and so the number of dives doesn't increase as fast, but who cares.

Sylvain:
For the last few days I have been looking at the profile of most members that put threads and this really got me going!

How can people be certified 1 year and have between 299-400 dives?????????

There must be some B>>>> going around or else everybody that is in Scuba diving as a hobby, are lottery winners and can dive every day of the year. I mean even if you only dive on weekend that would req you to dive 2-3 time each week end (sometime more) just in order to meet that number. Maybee my math is wrong if so can someone explain to me how they can do it and keep a job that will give them enought money to be able to do that.

I counted my dives in Catherine's waters. :) Only because I wore a 5mm. :wink:

::::Byouancy check::::

Breathe out, sink, head goes under water !!!!!!!It's a Dive!!!!!!!!!! :eyebrow:

If you dive every weekend in a year, making a mere six dives, you cross 300 dives in less than a year. If you have a near shore diving site, it can be rather easy to get that many dives in. (Can I come over?) If you have free shore diving nearby and you own your own gear, you can get by on air fills, which shouldn't run you more than $100-200 a month (for me, it'd be the low end, but some people have pricey air).

I did over 100 dives in my first year (not counting pools or anything like that, which would have greatly inflated that number), and the nearest diving I've found is about 5 hours away. For those who live nearby, if they don't get bored of the sites, it's completely viable to get that many dives in a year.

Is it an exceptional number? Sure. Is it a viable number? Yes, actually it is. (Don't confuse improbable for impossible. They are not the same.)
DeepBound:
Back when I just dove single-tank, I would do more dives in a day, because I'd have to come up when I got low on air. Now that I have doubles, I do 2-3 hour dives often and so the number of dives doesn't increase as fast, but who cares.
I didn't go to doubles, but I've found the same thing. Compared to my total bottom time, my dive count is increasing more slowly as I continue diving. (Well, I guess when I occasionally sling an 80, that basically counts as doubles.)

I've been diving since 1976 and I barely have the 400-500 dive thing achieved.
I guess I need to dive more. I should have about 4000-5000 by now following that lead.
LoL

Well, I got certified in July of '05. By July of '06, I had about 175 dives. At that point, I'm certified one year. Right now, I'd still show "certified one year", because it isn't July of '07 yet, and I'm pushing 350 dives.

I work part time, and I live where there's easy shore diving almost every day of the year.

TSandM:
Well, I got certified in July of '05. By July of '06, I had about 175 dives. At that point, I'm certified one year. Right now, I'd still show "certified one year", because it isn't July of '07 yet, and I'm pushing 350 dives.

I work part time, and I live where there's easy shore diving almost every day of the year.

Than I think that we should pressure the club to change the User CP to read "Certified since...." that way people would not forget to change their profile.

I live in Utah and work in Las Vegas if you want to dive your going to find a way to do it. We have the Gorilla dive every year here 24 lakes in 24 hours 15min dive each. start at altitude and work your way down. If all I did was count my dives that were not for work I still would have 350-400 year easily. Its a lifestyle and an addiction for some.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom