This ought to Work Several of you into a Frenzy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've related this scenario before, but it seems like a good lead in here. So there I am, standing on the beach wearing a single steel 72 tank w/J-valve and a watch. No back pack, no BC, no SPG. This tech instructor guy walks up to me with his students in trail and sarcastically says, "So what is your emergency action bailout plan for a catastrophic gas loss at depth scenario with that get-up?" I simply replied. "Uh, swim up?" :) He looked at me and said he honestly hadn't thought of that one.

I've related this scenario before, but it seems like a good lead in here. So there I am, standing on the beach wearing a single steel 72 tank w/J-valve and a watch. No back pack, no BC, no SPG. This tech instructor guy walks up to me with his students in trail and sarcastically says, "So what is your emergency action bailout plan for a catastrophic gas loss at depth scenario with that get-up?" I simply replied. "Uh, swim up?" :) He looked at me and said he honestly hadn't thought of that one.
They used to tell people that when “tech” was just “diving” :wink:

( I didn’t say “teach” because it seemed sort of understood, the surface is a great redundant air supply.)

i could set up a decent pony with a used MK-2 and a Deep6 or HOG second for less than that.
And carry it on the airplane.

I have as well, but let's face it not everyone is going to want to get involved with carrying the larger pony tank, enmptying it beforehand, unscrewing the valve, and then possibly having to get it VIP'd and then refilled every time they travel.
Can you take a filled spare air on a plane? Hardly so what benefit does a spare air give you with regard to air travel?

Can you take a filled spare air on a plane? Hardly so what befit does a spare air give you with rehgard to air travel?
It looks smaller and lighter although I have not checked.

Because you can fill it with a pump then you can skip the inspection after getting it back from the airport ? (Don’t know if it is sensible to do that)

I’m thinking that if you take the valve off of your pony and put a straw in it, it will fly through inspection.

I remove the valve and cover the opening with clear plastic. We pack the tank in our checked luggage. Once I used an actual solid plastic tank plug and TSA in Atlanta confiscated the suspicious tank on our return flight. They shipped the tank to us a week later at their expense.

Can you take a filled spare air on a plane? Hardly so what benefit does a spare air give you with regard to air travel?
Fill it off your first tank.

What amazes me is that "Spare Air" continues to exist - enough that they're introducing new product lines? Obviously they're trying to address the biggest weakness/complaint by offering a larger size, but I've yet to encounter someone with a positive opinion of "Spare Air", so much so that I figure the reputation is beyond repair. Are they really selling enough product to justify trying to salvage the product and name?

EDIT: sorry, forgot the frenzy part - IF YOU BUY THIS YOU'LL DIE EVEN BEFORE GETTING IN THE WATER! :mad:

Epstein didn't use Spare Air!

Back
Top Bottom