Thistlegorm

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry about my profile I've just got no idea how to fill it in..

So far I have 7 dives all taken with my scuba diver card which I achieved on holiday. The deepest I've ever dived is 27mtrs In Spain, I've never dived in any kind of current just beutifull blue mill pond conditions.

Mike

---------- Post added October 13th, 2014 at 07:25 PM ----------

I've met a freind at work who is also into diving and he was booking the holiday and asked if I wanted to tag along, he is a DM or so he tells me I've never seen a card, but I've paid up and exited to go

I obviously needed to get more qualified so I've gone to my local dive school, explained I'm booked on the thistlegorm and asked what quals I need?? They said aow + 3 and sorted..

So I was happy as a pig in **** until tiger explained its a difficult dive for an absolute novice.. People are talking sea scooters, strong currents and penetrations which are all out of my league at the min but I've got nearly a year,

Mike

Sorry about my profile I've just got no idea how to fill it in..

So far I have 7 dives all taken with my scuba diver card which I achieved on holiday. The deepest I've ever dived is 27mtrs In Spain, I've never dived in any kind of current just beutifull blue mill pond conditions.

Mike

---------- Post added October 13th, 2014 at 07:25 PM ----------

I've met a freind at work who is also into diving and he was booking the holiday and asked if I wanted to tag along, he is a DM or so he tells me I've never seen a card, but I've paid up and exited to go

I obviously needed to get more qualified so I've gone to my local dive school, explained I'm booked on the thistlegorm and asked what quals I need?? They said aow + 3 and sorted..

So I was happy as a pig in **** until tiger explained its a difficult dive for an absolute novice.. People are talking sea scooters, strong currents and penetrations which are all out of my league at the min but I've got nearly a year,

Mike
It does seem you should do some focused diving and you should get as much dives as possible done, to increase your experience and comfort and as a bonus lower your air consumption.
Scooters is not neccesary, but bouyancy is something you should train in specific. A time saver might be to find a peak performance bouyancy class.
The penetrations are fairly easy, but you do need to have fairly good bouyancy control as they can be relatively narrow. The currents is hard to practice, but I would recommend, if possible, to have a few dives on the reefs in/near sharm to get some exposure to currents before you go out to Thistlegorm.
Most important of all - PAY GOOD ATTENTION TO THE BRIEFINGS! They should give you the most important information about the specific dive.

View attachment 195207View attachment 195208Go and visit the propeller at 30 metres, it's supposed to be good luck to touch the top of it as my wife is demonstrating, and you won't miss the anti-aircraft gun.
Diving this wreck on Nitrox gives you loads more bottom time, so put that on your list of things to do.

You don't need a drysuit to dive the Thistlegorm. I dived it in a 3/2 wetsuit. Most of my companions were using a 5mm.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Sorry bob, it's to do all the training here in uk.. It's bloody freezing here

Rocky

Rockystock I don't do much open water diving so don't want to comment on anything above, but have you checked out www.thediveforum.co.uk

It's a UK forum which is useful in conjunction with scubaboard.

I'd suggest you'd find some good local buddies on there to talk through your plans with and gain more experience, which isn't just about courses, but about planning and executing your own dives with friends!

If you ever fancy a quarry dive (my current gear won't survive saltwater) let me know!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You don't need a drysuit to dive the Thistlegorm. I dived it in a 3/2 wetsuit. Most of my companions were using a 5mm.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Last time I was there I did it in a 2,5mm shorty :p

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom