Thoughts on 6mm steel backplates

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alewar

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello folks,

I'm moving to a dry suit and want to buy a heavier backplate to use with it since the one I have is a light one made of aluminum and I don't want to wear a bulky weight belt.
What do you think about 6mm steel BPs? They weight about 5kg (11lbs) and seem like a more elegant solution than a normal BP plus a P-weight.

I'll be using it with double 7, and sometimes double 12 cylinders.

Thanks!

usually, heavy steel double and drysuit makes diver head heavy, so a heavier back plate can make it worse. But if you can trim out properly with a heavier plate, I don't see issues.

There are many ways to add weight to your backplate... SS bolt on weights (use a nylon washer between the weight and plate), add a couple belt weights on your waist harness webbing, etc. Might be cheaper than finding a "thick" backplate.

too heavy to travel with, more expensive, and less adjustable than adding lead with a v weight, p weight or pouch of lead.

I already have a travel BP and there is no significant price difference between a 3mm BP + p-weight and the 6mm BP.
To adjust trim I still have some weights to play with since the 5kg (11lbs) of the BP alone isn't enough.

Hello folks,

I'm moving to a dry suit and want to buy a heavier backplate to use with it since the one I have is a light one made of aluminum and I don't want to wear a bulky weight belt.
What do you think about 6mm steel BPs? They weight about 5kg (11lbs) and seem like a more elegant solution than a normal BP plus a P-weight.

I'll be using it with double 7, and sometimes double 12 cylinders.

Thanks!

I don't like the thick back-plates. Depending on which spec cylinders you're using (and seeing that you're in Germany I'll assume either BTS or Faber) you'll need weight low down on the tanks. I quite often find divers with thick plates are both carrying too much lead, and when that's removed are too head heavy. I personally prefer to have a standard 3mm backplate, and use a combination of a tail weight, and v-weights to get the right weighting.

HTH
John

I tend to agree-- unless you need gobs and gobs of weight (you likely don't), a basic SS or AL plate allows way more flexibility in placing weights.

I have one that I only use with my meg while wearing a thick undergarment.
It would be overkill for anything else.

I agree with the others; stick with the regular thickness backplates.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom