Thoughts on DIY Emergency Oxygen Kit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ev780, I would state that with very few exceptions, a dive accident does merit O2. Most all accidents are going to be DCS/DCI related where CPR is not needed. I cannot remember the one specific injury known to diving that O2 is bad, but even that one was arguable that it would not hurt. As for the demand regulator, most of the time I wished I had O2, it was to attempt to prevent DCS/DCI, e.g. OOA emergency, blown deco, feeling bad... Specifically in my case, the diver was able to use a regulator to breath. I would suspect that if they were not going to be benefited by a demand reg, unless a helicopter was on the way, the overall prognosis would not be good, demand reg or constant flow, especially 1-8 hrs out.

Also remember, in the tech side, O2 use is the normal. I was on pure O2 less than 4 days ago for about 10 minutes. :cool2: Diving and O2 go together like .....

I don't necessarily disagree with you. The inevitable "but," though. I have seen far to often the mentality of just slap a mask on the patient and turn the bottle up to 15lpm without giving it a second thought. (Don't get me started on the widespread misuse of the non-rebreather mask.) It needs to be given thought and I would argue that we need to be much more careful in it's administration including proper training and pulse-ox monitoring. I agree exceedingly rare that oxygen can be harmful but if you misdiagnose the gas embolism and it turns out to be a heart attack you have done nothing good for the patient by flooding them with oxygen.

Again, it is the treatment of choice for DCI and should never be withheld but I am less convinced we know what the target range is for blood oxygen levels. Getting the patient to their baseline is good but the data is less clear on the effects of going beyond that.

I was just saying that medical oxygen is a controlled medication for a reason and should be given the same deference as any other medication. Take it seriously.

I think that most of what you want is beyond us as divers looking to provide a safety buffer against an accident and not proper treatment. I personally want my blood O2 level as high as I can get it, breathing pure O2 for a while, if I am trying to hedge against a DCS/DCI hit. The goal is to remove as much nitrogen from by blood as possible. When I am decompressing, I will use pure O2 at a PPO2 of 1.6. When administered on land, the best it will be is 1.0. CNS O-tox will not be a big risk for me. I will risk pulmonary O-tox for the benefit of hedging DCS/DCI. What is the worst that happens, I take an air break. We are not talking long term O2 use. The overall idea is that maybe we can help prevent DCS/DCI or reduce the effects of DCS/DCI until proper treatment, or maybe even keep the person alive until proper treatment can be established. In my case, the diver would have been put on O2 to reduce or prevent DCS/DCI. IWR is not a good option in my opinion due to the amount of gas normally required which is also coupled with thermal stress. Before IWR is completed, the diver will probably be too cold and the treatment a lot less effective.

keep in mind that deco efficiency at 1.6 is no better than 1.4 as long as you are on 100% O2, you just have to keep the total pressure at a certain level to prevent bubbles from forming. Once they are formed, you have to get down as deep as you can so they can go back into solution to come out.

keep in mind that deco efficiency at 1.6 is no better than 1.4 as long as you are on 100% O2, you just have to keep the total pressure at a certain level to prevent bubbles from forming. Once they are formed, you have to get down as deep as you can so they can go back into solution to come out.

I personally do not like bouncing around at 10' though. So I normally stay at 20'. On OC I switched a while ago to 80% from 100% so I tend to sit around 1.3. For CC, I go 1.5 or so at 20'....

Either way, I think we all agree that getting the most diffusion from the lungs if we are trying to remove our absorbed nitrogen content is best. After an OOA or other issue, O2 at surface is best until we can get under professional care and possibly a chamber.

Portable Oxygen Cylinders and Regulators

take one of those and remove the CGA540 fitting. Barb or DISS only, which is somewhat limiting, but if you are using a BVM or non-rebreather mask then it doesn't matter, or if you decide to use an MTV-100

Anderson Metals 56122 Brass Pipe Fitting, Hex Nipple, 1/4" x 1/4" NPT Male Pipe: Industrial Pipe Fittings: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

one of those with some teflon tape

Din Fill Adapter w/ 1/4" female NPT Fitting "Nitrox Ready
one of those. If you use barb, just make sure that it is flowing when you shut the tank off to relieve the pressure, if you use DISS, either put a blow valve on the fill adapter, or make sure that your demand valve is connected and breathe it down like you would a normal regulator.

Assemble

Under $100

Really? You used Teflon tape on a 100% O2 fitting?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Every day. What do you use?

Sent from my DiveRite Bridge II.

There is nothing wrong with teflon tape and oxygen. There is a problem if the teflon tape has any grease or other lubricant on it. Clean hands and wipe off the tape and you won't have any problem.

Really? You used Teflon tape on a 100% O2 fitting?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

it has much less contact with the O2 than your valve seat does.... remember that teflon tape on NPT threads is not for sealing, it is for lubricating the threads so they don't bind. The sealing is done by the threads themselves so if you do it right, there should be almost no ptfe in contact with the O2

Any tips for buying old steel 72's for 100% O2? Any dates to avoid? I've seen some old ones available, like from the 1970's and 80's. Is there a guideline where you would consider a tank to be too old? I know steel lasts much longer than aluminum if cared for and I've been told to avoid aluminum tanks that are 20+ years old, but does the same hold true for steel? Everyone says well cared for steel tanks will damn near last forever. Which may be true, but will a dive shop not fill a really old steel tank even if it's in hydro, O2 clean and passes viz. Any advice here?

they shouldn't have any problems. Important part is to have a vis done before you bring it to hydro. Make sure it isn't lined and isn't pitted. Steel tanks fail vis, it is very rare they fail hydro.

Back
Top Bottom