Thoughts on DIY Emergency Oxygen Kit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

for reference, a lp72 at 2500psi or AL80 at 3000psi is good for about 2-2.5hours on a demand valve, that's at 15lpm which you need for a non-rebreather mask. A full K bottle is good for about 8 hours, so your call on what you do. K bottles are big, heavy *almost 200lbs*, hard to get on/off the boat if you aren't big or have help etc etc. They are the better solution for a permanent bottle, but scuba tanks are pretty durable if you take care of them properly and if you are doing deco diving anyway, then you can take 3-4 lp72's/80's or a single K bottle.

certain conveniences with each option, but all are better than the small portable O2 kits.

All good info.

Right now my boat can hold 9 tanks (roll control and a DIY rack) with room to spare. My initial thoughts were that can support 4 divers doing 2 dives each or 2 divers doing 4 each and still have a spare tank for various reasons. Perhaps I'll add two more tank mounts to keep an AL80 I already own for just air to avoid a floor being created (assuming most dives will be Nitrox), an AL80 with 100% O2 and the pod for emergencies and finally another hang tank for underwater issues, say 40-50% at 20 ft. Anymore tanks than that and space will begin to get tight.

I want to be safe and prepared for hosting divers and of course myself. Besides having a damn recompression chamber on board I'm not sure what else I can do. I'm probably doing a lot more than many recreational boat/scuba owners do.

Thoughts?

this is my unofficial, recommendation. If you're putting in dedicated hang tanks, they may as well be 100% O2. With 40-50 you still have to O2 clean everything *tank and valve due to PP filling* and you don't get the deco benefits of O2....

Official recommendation is don't put anything over 40% for nitrox divers

Other option is to get a big tank, LP121 etc and use that if you can find one pretty cheap. Useless for you using it on the dive, but you can hang it and put it on the boat with little issues. I prefer steel to aluminum for O2 bottles anyway. A 121 will give you around 4 hours at 15lpm

15lpm is close to a 0.5 sac rate btw. Higher than most people breathe while laying on the deck, but plan for the worst, hope for the best.

That's the great thing about AL40s: you can stash them about anywhere. Light enough that anyone can handle them, even the patient. Plus, you don't have to worry about someone trying to dive it because it's physically different than all the other tanks you normally dive with. AL80s and bigger are overkill for O2.

Last edited:
Paramedic here.

Just a couple notes.

Oxygen is NOT a benign drug! Its use has repercussions and complications. I have no idea who you are and I do not meant to insult your intelligence or training but even my most experienced paramedics treat oxygen administration with to much of a cavalier attitude. Just stay current on the latest research.

Dump the idea of a demand valve. Not even professional paramedics and EMT's mess with those silly things. Bag valve mask is the way to go with a properly trained person.

Get close with your local EMS. They can help you put together a good response plan that works within the system as well as giving advice on compatible equipment and training.

Again no offense intended if what I said you already know.

lp45's, 4lbs more, but basically same size as an AL40, and much safer for O2 use due to the whole steel thing.... Though a bit heavier to actually carry as a deco bottle. Either way, point is to get a standard O2 deco bottle setup, stick an inflator hose on which you should have anyway for IP checks, and then get a EAN pod

Oxygen is NOT a benign drug! Its use has repercussions and complications. I have no idea who you are and I do not meant to insult your intelligence or training but even my most experienced paramedics treat oxygen administration with to much of a cavalier attitude. Just stay current on the latest research.

Dump the idea of a demand valve. Not even professional paramedics and EMT's mess with those silly things. Bag valve mask is the way to go with a properly trained person.

ev780, I would state that with very few exceptions, a dive accident does merit O2. Most all accidents are going to be DCS/DCI related where CPR is not needed. I cannot remember the one specific injury known to diving that O2 is bad, but even that one was arguable that it would not hurt. As for the demand regulator, most of the time I wished I had O2, it was to attempt to prevent DCS/DCI, e.g. OOA emergency, blown deco, feeling bad... Specifically in my case, the diver was able to use a regulator to breath. I would suspect that if they were not going to be benefited by a demand reg, unless a helicopter was on the way, the overall prognosis would not be good, demand reg or constant flow, especially 1-8 hrs out.

Also remember, in the tech side, O2 use is the normal. I was on pure O2 less than 4 days ago for about 10 minutes. :cool2: Diving and O2 go together like .....

Dump the idea of a demand valve. Not even professional paramedics and EMT's mess with those silly things.
But most aren't dealing with OE and deco injuries. A demand valve conserves O2 and gives a %100 delivery. That's what a Scuba Diver is most likely to need O2 for, anyway.

Paramedic here.

Just a couple notes.

Get close with your local EMS. They can help you put together a good response plan that works within the system as well as giving advice on compatible equipment and training.

Again no offense intended if what I said you already know.

ev780,

DAN (Divers Alert Network) has a couple of certification courses that teach competent administration of oxygen for scuba accidents. My last course ("Advanced Oxygen Provider" or something like this) was taught by a practicing physician. Cautions, several delivery modes, emergency protocols, etc., were taught. I assume CuzzA knows of these resources at DAN.

Safe Diving,

rx7diver

If you're going to invest in medical O2, buy an MTV-100. they're more expensive, but no risk more of an overinflation injury than with a BVM.

Seconded on not buying a demand valve though, the MTV-100 is only $100 or so more...

Back
Top Bottom