Thread moving by Mods

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OneBrightGator:
I read some of the posts and also found them to be in poor taste and inappropriate.

Okay, I can only keep the sarcastic side tied in the corner for so long.......

I find it ironic that someone so easily offended, would have in thier profile under "interests".......

http://www.scubaboard.com/member.php?u=12129
Interests: Diving, motorcycles and your mom

Now, I love my mom, and find that terribly offensive, does this mean you should remove it, or not be allowed to post in public forums, where anyone could open your profile?

There are several things I will address on top of what Kim has already said.

While it may be clear to you, I, and even most people that the recent threads were in jest there was a concern that is could be misunderstand by some. We had also recieved some complaints about the threads. Due to these concerns the Mods decided that it was more appropriate to put the threads in the Humor Section to lessen the chances of a misunderstandings. I believe that "Satire" was also added to the titles to make it further clear.

As far as the conversations being semi-private, these posts were made on-line and available for public view. Once they are posted any level of privacy is lost. Should you want to maintain some level of privacy PM is the tool that should be used, not one of the forums.

I am sorry that you do not agree but as Kim also said the Mods try our best to make decisions we feel are best for the board in general.

Happy Diving.

Chad

photohikedive:
This is where I am confused. How is it board spam, when it is posted in a forum mean to be read by the people who are included in the joke?
I have a feeling that this might be part of the problem. You have just described about half of the 'raison d'etre' of the regional forums. Sure they allow local stuff and communication to occur. However that's not the whole story. They are also supposed to be a 'window' on places for the benefit of everyone. They are supposed to remain accessible so that if people from outside who might be visiting etc have questions, they know where to go to get answers. As such they aren't really meant to become 'private'. Again - we come back to the quantity issue. Small amounts of 'in' comments don't bother people. If they get the idea though that a whole area is the private preserve of a few people then many get nervous and stay outside, when they might otherwise have had questions etc. As far as I can tell there is no part of Florida that doesn't receive many many visiting divers from outside. These are the people that need the forums as well - not just those that actually live there.
By the way - I don't think that your intent with these posts was in any way meant as exclusive - sometimes though things can have unintended consequences.

ckharlan66:
As far as the conversations being semi-private, these posts were made on-line and available for public view. Once they are posted any level of privacy is lost. Should you want to maintain some level of privacy PM is the tool that should be used, not one of the forums.

I find this to be an interesting sticking point. I repeat, I see them as semi private, not private. I will try a different analogy in an attempt to clarify how I view it.

Picture all of ScubaBoard as a group of people at a party. A public conversation would be one posted in a thread aimed at the whole of ScubaBoard, such as Whine and Cheese, or Humor. This could be likened to speaking to the whole croud via a toast. Maybe you don't want anyone but a certain person or two (PM's are limited to five people at a time). Then you take that person off to a room and shut the door, this would be equivilant to a PM. A post made in a sub-forum or even a sub sub forum sould be like if a group of people at that party, broke off, and started having a conversation together.

Here is where the trouble seems to be. That group is overheard by someone walking by. In order to be offended enough to warrant complaining to a security officer at the party, it is apparant that they would have to nose into the conversation to hear enough that they would have grounds to complain.

This offends me. Why should my ability to post to a focused group, be hampered, because someone finds something I write to be in "poor taste". I haven't said anything blatantly offensive, and even if I did, they can block ME. They will never read anything I say again. They are obnviously not regulars to our sub sub forum, because between myself and the other "offensive person" we have been diving with just about everyone that posts on the Northern Florida sub forum. I intentionally aimed my posts to a select few. I shouldn't be blamed when someone comes into that group, and goes out of thier way to be offended.

Can't we all just get along:wink:

Seriously though, I can understand why the mods chose to move the topics, dont personally agree with it, but I can see it from that perspective, and can see why it was done.

My concern is I'm getting the impression some people feel that if a small group of people, in this case all of us that dive together in the panhandle area, wants to joke around amoungst themselves then it needs to be done in a PM or Email. And I certainly disagree with that. That is what the public forums are for. If you want to read it, great, if you want to join in, even better. If it bothers you, DONT READ IT!

I just have a hard time understanding how people can or could take offense to the posts in question. Maybe I'm just caleous, but I didnt find the threads in poor taste at all.

My opinion...

I stumbled across your first thread Photohike, and didn't realize that it was a joke (at first). It was quite clear by the end of the thread however. I find it odd that anyone would be offended by the thread content; a joke is a joke.

Here is the only minor problem I had with it: The several threads that followed, all of the same nature. At least to me, the joke was played out and it seemed as if the threads should have been moved to another section. It may confuse new members who stumble into a thread section related to diving, only to find parody threads that make little sense. But the general rule applies: don't like it, don't read it.

But hey, I don't mind it at all. I get what I need here and I enjoy the forums, I think a little fun here and there is a good thing. You guys would probably be a fun group to dive with.

Dude, you're tilting at windmills. Seriously.

Kim:
Sure they (regional forums) allow local stuff and communication to occur. However that's not the whole story. They are also supposed to be a 'window' on places for the benefit of everyone. They are supposed to remain accessible so that if people from outside who might be visiting etc have questions, they know where to go to get answers. As such they aren't really meant to become 'private'.

By the way - I don't think that your intent with these posts was in any way meant as exclusive - sometimes though things can have unintended consequences.

Thank you for adding that last sentence. I again stress, semi private. Back to the party analogy. If someone was to break off from the party and wanted to be included in our side group, they are more than welcome. Even if they don't bring a fresh round of drinks.

There are plenty of posts that are not focused on the "inside joke'. Nor have I seen any post exclude someone for being not from the area. I would say that the divers here are some of the most inclusive I have ever seen, second only to the south FL divers who are prevelant in the ongoing "chat thread" MOF. Tomorrow's dive, organized in the Florida "in group" section includes several people from Alabama. Soon I plan to be diving with a guy from Minnesota. I myself recently moved from MA, and only know of the dive sites I now frequent through people I met in the FL board.

Even the jokes are not exclusive. Often I am the focal point for ribbing, and encourage anyone to partake. I will not feel offended because someone tries joining the hammering, that hasn't dove with us. No one that I have had the fortune to dive with, has shown any characteristic of being exclusive.

photohikedive:
I find this to be an interesting sticking point. I repeat, I see them as semi private, not private. I will try a different analogy in an attempt to clarify how I view it.

I understand how you feel. In reality though that is not how the board is designed or envisioned to be. The subforums are open to all members, and actually guests can read them too, and they are welcome to join in and post and discuss in any or all of them.

The regional forums are set up for locals to organize dives, get togethers, outings, but also so visitors to your state can get a feeling for local conditions and meet local connections if they are traveling. You are free to have fun with buddies and friends.

The threads have not been removed even though as has been said, even by some in this thread, some find them in bad taste. They were moved to a section the Mods decided would have less chance of causing confusion for those that didn't get the humor on its face.

Happy Diving.

Chad

Knight1989:
My concern is I'm getting the impression some people feel that if a small group of people, in this case all of us that dive together in the panhandle area, wants to joke around amoungst themselves then it needs to be done in a PM or Email.

That is not the case, especially in the regional forums. The regional forums are made up of local dive buddies I would think that everyone expects and enjoys humor between each other. All we are saying is if you expect any level of privacy or exclucivity those are the venues to use the forums are open to all.

Chad

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom