Three dives in one day against the rules?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here's what Wikipedia (my number 1 source of unverified information) says about CMAS.

CMAS* SCUBA Diver,or just CMAS*, is an entry level recreational SCUBA diving certificate issued by Confédération Mondiale des Activités Subaquatiques (CMAS).
The certificate allows diving down to 20 meters, but does not allow night diving or use of nitrox, that both require higher livel certificates. CMAS* training is issued by both diving clubs and diving centers, and is awarded by the national diving associations. In the Nordic region, the cerificate CMAS* Nordic SCUBA Diver is awarded, as the course is more extensive (at least six dives) and the course contains special curriculum for cold water diving.

Based on that, it sounds like CMAS guys are missing alot of great diving, too bad for them.

John

Dry Tortugas
July of 2004
32 dives in 3 1/2 days

How much fun can one person have?

Phil Ellis

They would lose alot of money diving the Fling @ the Flower Gardens...getting ready to go out Wed(in 2 days) and make 5 dives Thursday, 1st dive to 130', next 4 to max 100', 2.5 hr. S.I. between all dives......

CMAS training is state of the art, and is a very influential aquatic training agency in Western Europe, South America and Mexico. What PADI, and NAUI consider certifications, they consider levels. Each level (includes instructors) has its restrictions. Also, as mentioned, certain dive clubs have their own restrictions.

One can be a CMAS 1-star diver, 2-star, 3-star, or 4-star. There are different levels of cave and technical instruction as well (similar to Cave 1, Tech 2, etc.)

And yes, CMAS despises PADI - won't recognise the card as equal. By the way, PADI does very well in all parts of Europe, except for the Latin countries (France, Belgium, Spain, Portugal, Italy).

http://www.cmas.org/comtec/standards.asp?cl=77&sub=77

Do SSI standards restrict instructor or a student to no more than 3 dives a day?

Although I'm not SSI, I am NAUI and PADI, I believe SSI has the same standard for training dives. Students can only dive up to 3 dives a day. There can not be any ascent drills on the third dive such as ESA or AASA.

Once a student is certified they may conduct more than 3 dives a day.

Salaam

Chris

We dive 3 or 4 dives a day, consecutive days on a regular basis with no ill effects. Our 1st dives are usually in the 100ft.- depths. Shallowest dives in 55 - 65ft. water.

As long as safety stops/off gasssing is done properly, surface intervals are adherred to there should be no problem.

Jarhed, that's the CMAS 1-star diving rating.

CMAS has a good reason for not considering PADI certs to be an equal. CMAS training has much greater rigor.

There's certainly room for debate about if that level of rigor is in any way necessary. But for those who dislike certification factories, CMAS should be welcomed with open arms.

As for if that's a rule or not -- I do not believe it is.

CMAS' standards are available here: http://www.oceanos.dk/CMAS STANDARDS.pdf

Typical trip to FG...Five dives on day one; four dives on day two; Two dives on the morning of day three (before heading back for the pier. We'd do more, but there's travel time between FG East, FG West, Stetson Banks, and possibly High Island (oil platform).
I'd say someone is missing out on a lot of fun!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom