Tiny Doubles and Tech question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Two of my dive buddies are female and did their ANDP on pumped up 98's with H-valves. They had similar goals as you, increasing safety on wreck dives.

PM sent. Interested in the instructor...

If you were near, I'd say come try as many different doubles as you want. You aren't near. Maybe next vacation to the Keys, give Gary and Brenda a call at Conch Republic. You could also try any tech shop near you, or go to cave country. That will give you the opportunity to try many different sizes and shapes of cylinders. Or, you could just come haul tanks around for me.... :)

Two of my dive buddies are female and did their ANDP on pumped up 98's with H-valves. They had similar goals as you, increasing safety on wreck dives.

Deco with a single cylinder hardly seems safe to me.

Deco with a single cylinder hardly seems safe to me.

I personally would not use a single cylinder if I went this route. I routinely dive a pony even in simple rec dives (tend toward solo) so understand the need for redundancy. I am also planning to sling a tank for accelerated deco, so yeah, real estate could get a little crowded.

Hence my question about a back tank and slung tank for added gas and redundancy. Then a third tank for deco unless the boat has a hang tank (I understand that some boats will provide this for advanced dives). Again, this is all "thinking out loud" at this point.

Edit: my interest in djtimmy77's post is in the configuration but more so an instructor willing to work with the student and possibly tailor a course to the divers needs.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jax
I will only note that I dive an HP100 and sling a pony. An advantage of this is that when I start up the ladder on my usual dive boat the crew unhooks the pony and takes it on separately. A slung pony, and I assume this works also for side mount, can be passed up separately so you only have to climb on with part of your weight.

My wife uses doubled up LP66s and LP45s. I mention the LP66s only because that configuration has not mentioned previously. They are about the same weight as LP72 but are shorter so may trim out better.

Deleted. Somehow post was doubled...

must be be the topic topic :D

Reactions: Jax
One more thought I want to share. Some tank sizes are below the minimum volume standard specified by training agencies. If you have a path in mind for a set of tech courses you wish to take, before going off the reservation with unusually small volume cylinders, it might be a good idea to check with instructors or agencies as to what cylinders would be okay to use in class.

I personally would not use a single cylinder if I went this route. I routinely dive a pony even in simple rec dives (tend toward solo) so understand the need for redundancy. I am also planning to sling a tank for accelerated deco, so yeah, real estate could get a little crowded.

Hence my question about a back tank and slung tank for added gas and redundancy. Then a third tank for deco unless the boat has a hang tank (I understand that some boats will provide this for advanced dives). Again, this is all "thinking out loud" at this point.

Edit: my interest in djtimmy77's post is in the configuration but more so an instructor willing to work with the student and possibly tailor a course to the divers needs.

Relying on a hang tank in the ocean sounds a lot more dangerous than depending a lot on a single tank.

Don't know if this is 'allowed" but you use a large single and could carry a small pony for redundancy and a small slung tank for accelerated Deco. I've done that, pretty many times, but it is generally solo, so i am only worried about my own gas, not someone else.

...//...
Don't know if this is 'allowed" but you use a large single and could carry a small pony for redundancy and a small slung tank for accelerated Deco. I've done that, pretty many times, but it is generally solo, so i am only worried about my own gas, not someone else.

I read a post on another thread today where apparently a student did a Tec 40 with something very similar to this.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom