Tipping dive master

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i asked this question to not to long ago and some "perfect"people also made the here we go again comment.i dont have time to wade through years old comments and their search isn't the best you have to skim through hundred plus posts just to find what you want and that doesnt work all the time .most peeps are happy to assist and i like that just ignore the GODS .any i asked the same and i didnt mind tipping the crew that went out of there way to help you but been a few boats that i had to set up all my own gear and swap out my tanks .why should i tip them for me doing all the work ?anyway thanks to some peeps here now i tip 10 a tank that's a good place to start i was tipping a little more then that

We tip $10 per tank too in general. However there have been times when it has just been our family with guys we know and they pull something special out of the bag. The tip definitely goes up then :)

As noted, there are countless views on tipping, even within the same country. I give the DM $20 for a 2 tank boat dive before we leave the dock so I don't take any $ on board, and don't forget afterwords. I expect the DM to give a good briefing of the site. I figure any personal help gearing up is a bonus, and have often received that. My tip is really for the total amount of work a DM does that day. This includes loading/unloading tanks/weights/other equipment, getting the boat ready to go and cleaning it up afterwords, seeing that it is properly anchored for the dives, and other stuff. Many work only for tips (why they do that is a mystery to me, other than they may get in a free dive themselves), or for very low pay. I want the DM to get the whole tip, figuring the Capt. and other crew probably get some sort of pay or own the op themselves. If they're doing it for free they're crazier than the DM.

Wouldn’t that be a word something like sequentially?

Ooh, good point. However, I would reserve 'sequentially' for separate posts. Things written in the same post are 'simultaneous' and things written in different posts are 'sequential.'

I've been tipping $5 a tank, as many other things I had read made me think that was more standard. Seems like some people online, especially from the U.S. (which I am also), just love to tip more. I don't mind tipping more (and I have) for really great service, but I don't really go for the noblesse oblige view of tipping that some seem to have in every scenario. Please note, the prior sentence is not aimed at anyone in particular, just a general observation.

I've been tipping $5 a tank, as many other things I had read made me think that was more standard. Seems like some people online, especially from the U.S. (which I am also), just love to tip more. I don't mind tipping more (and I have) for really great service, but I don't really go for the noblesse oblige view of tipping that some seem to have in every scenario. Please note, the prior sentence is not aimed at anyone in particular, just a general observation.

I will probably get backlash over this but I will be honest. I have been in situations where I did not tip. One such example...It was essentially a water taxi. No one helped me with any of my gear or tanks outside of just filling them for the next dive. I was throwing my fins up onto the dive deck right before I climbed up the ladder and grabbed them myself upon getting up. No snacks provided, just water. No help grabbing camera gear or getting in and out of my gear. No divemaster (which is what the OP is asking about)....Nothing. The crew would just chat between dives and do their own thing with each other; they didn't really chat with any of the divers on the boat. Yes, they were doing their job, but I really didn't feel like it was deserving of a tip. Did I require help? No, but it would have been appreciated. If that makes me a cheap arse and a jerk, so be it. I didn't believe in tipping just because that was what the expectation is/was.

On the other hand, I have tipped generously when the crew makes an effort.

I was also on a British day dive boat in Egypt and it is always interesting to see different tipping cultures. There was not one mention of tipping or a tip box at all for the entire day, nor was there a tip box to be found anywhere on the boat. The same thing happened on a day boat in New Zealand.

I give it a lot of thought especially on liveaboards because a lot of the crew sleep late and wake really early to make my trip as great as they always are. They are very accommodating to requests and go out of their way to make things happen with a smile on their face which is not easy to do considering the amount of time they are away at sea at a time and away from their friends/families who are often times not at the port they sail out of. It is my dive op, hotel, concierge, and restaurant all in one...7-14 days at a time.

As mentioned before, it's important to consider location and circumstances. In the Philippines, you can get guided boat dives for $20-30 a tank with nitrox and sometimes even including equipment. While one could tip 20%, and it would probably be very appreciated, it isn't necessary when you take into consideration the local standard and customs. $10 a tank would be a gigantic tip. In order to determine what is appropriate for the OP, the question to the OP is.....where are you diving, what are the circumstances of the diving, and how much is it per tank? Is DM and crew mixed together, is the DM separate and the crew together, or....?

Okay here's one along these lines. What if you're not diving from a boat? What if you're diving cenotes/caves? Me personally I'll probably tip just as I would diving from a boat. But it would seem that there's maybe a little less work involved for the DM. I haven't done any cenote dives as of yet but do have a trip coming up in about 3 weeks and this would just be something nice to know. Any cenote/cavern/cave divers please feel free to weigh in.

From a UK perspective a tip is for service over and above what you originally pay for.

Locally in UAE we rarely tip, there are no guides generally and usually only one person on the boat, who will help with gear getting back on the boat after the dive, but then again so do other divers who are already on the boat. On the whole everyone mucks in and helps each other.

When I travel to SE Asia, I'm on a photo mission and usually hire a local spotter. He / she will get a decent tip at the end of the trip if they find some good stuff. If I have to share a guide / spotter with other people the tip will be less.

Back
Top Bottom