Tipping DM in Coz?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh, I'm an old coot, and never worked in an industry where tipping happened, so I wouldn't know. I'm just thinking that's how it started. Employer realizes he can pay workers less by making servers share tips, sells the idea to everyone as teamwork, and it becomes common.
I have been around Q. Roo dive op where tips were shared with all, including the owner, and am aware of another where the owner takes money out of the tip jar to buy pizza for everybody.

I think its the other way around. If one shop start to advertise the "real" price, they loose all customers and go out of business. There are to many shops that advertise a price that demand you to pay their staff sepparatly, and most customers chose the lower advertised price.

For me the real price is somewhere in between what you need to cover your cost, and what the customer i willing to pay.
provided that the later is higher than the former. If the difference are big and you get up there on the high end, others probably are going to compete with you with a price that i more attractive to the customer, and slightly less profit than you.

When the price get so low that you cannot cover your cost, you can either close shop, or get your staff to work for free, tipping make that possible.

We are in complete agreement. I was saying 'real' price as the fictional lower price implied, as if you're going by the assumption that all the shops are artificially inflating their prices.

I refuse to play. 15% is what it was when I grew up and what it will remain until I die. Percentage scales with inflation.
Yo tambien. I remember the talk a few years ago by people trying to move the needle by saying that 15% had been the benchmark for so many years that service folks deserved a raise. What's 15% of my dinner bill today, and what was it in 1985? They got a pretty big raise.

And you kids get off my lawn! :D

Nothing in life is "free".

I offer free grub control when you buy a 5 application fertilizing program -
On a completely different note, why is food often called "grub"? I certainly wouldn't eat a beetle larva.

why is food often called "grub"?
From hypothetical Old English root *grubbian, from Proto-Germanic *grubb- (compare Old High German grubilōn (“to dig, search”), German grübeln (“to meditate, ponder”)), from Proto-Germanic *grub- (“to dig”). The noun sense of "larva" (c.1400) may derive from the notion of "digging insect" or from the possibly unrelated Middle English grub (“dwarfish fellow”). The slang sense of "food" is first recorded 1659, has been linked with birds eating grubs or with bub (“drink”)."
From Colin Bain, Canada: What is the origin of the term grub for food?

A You might not like to learn that it’s the same word as that for a caterpillar or other insect larva, though you will be relieved to hear that it has nothing to do with actually eating them.

The source is the old Germanic word meaning to dig (which is also the source of grave). The verb to grub came first in English, around 1300, and meant just what it still does: to break up the surface of the ground or to clear the ground of roots and stumps. Derived from it is our adjective grubby for somebody or something that is dirty and the Australian term grub for a person who is unclean or who has messy habits.

The connection with food is the idea of animals foraging for food. In their wild state, for example, pigs grub for edible roots and the like. The larval sense comes from this, because grubs often feed in leaf litter or around roots. The slang sense of human food appears around the middle of the seventeenth century and is also linked to grubbing in the ground for something to eat.

The real prices are those ones that doesn't have hidden costs, simply as that.
You pay your workers fairly or you don't. The first is the right way to do, the second is not.
Tipping is something exceptional that should occur only when you receive something additional: if I'm not paying for my tank to be on the boat, I will carry it myself; if that day a gentle person will carry it for me, coz I have a back pain or i'm too lazy, he will do something in additional to what I have negotiated, and I will pay his additional work with an adeguate tip. Apply this for every other situation.
Tipping is not part of the salary, this is a stupidity and until this mentality will change those workers will continue to be exploited, I will not support this bad behavior tipping for something that I have already paid.

I don't think your lack of tipping will change a thing. You'll just send people home with less money each day. I've met people for decades who say refusing to tip is the only way to change how waiters or DMs are paid. Hasn't worked yet.

Hasn't worked yet.

Until there's enough people, this mentality will never change, but (for me) it isn't a reason to align with (what I consider) a bad habit. I will continue to tip for extra-ordinary services, I will not if I already paid fully for that service.

Look, this is very simple. When you travel to another country, you observe the customs and practices of that country. In some places, a server in a restaurant will bring the check when it’s obvious you are done with your meal (typical in the US) and in others, the server will not bring the check until you ask for it (typical in Mexico). A thoughtful and sensitive traveler will learn about these things in advance and act accordingly. The same thing applies to tips. In the US and Mexico, it is customary to tip restaurant servers, hotel housekeeping staff, taxi drivers, dive guides, and any number of other service providers. This is different from other countries. There are no tips in Japan. In Germany, you leave small change for a restaurant server, but not the 15-20% tip customary in the US. You don’t have to leave a tip in the US or Mexico, but if you don’t (and don’t have a good reason), you are just being disrespectful and rude.

I am sure all the service providers in the US and Mexico appreciate your support for a living wage without tips, but I am even more sure they would prefer to take home a little more money every day. When you don’t tip, you just hurt the people who have honestly tried to give you good service, along with their children and families. Shame on you.

Just returning from an AI in Cozumel, I made it a point to see who left tips after meals....I was pretty shocked to see most didn’t...I left something at every sitting...breakfast a little since it was buffet, dinner more since it was served...i could see how excited the servers were to see us each day and we were happy to see their appreciation...one women stood out amoung the rest..she has three girls at home and was a very dedicated worker! Our last night we gave her a well deserved lump sum that brought tears and hugs to the three of us!

I also went out of my way to Tell management about her and was also able to name her in an on line survey I received via email. She as well as other workers contributed to the enjoyment we experienced at the resort.

Just returning from an AI in Cozumel, I made it a point to see who left tips after meals....I was pretty shocked to see most didn’t...I left something at every sitting...breakfast a little since it was buffet, dinner more since it was served...

That's a bit different. Many AI resorts advertise "tips included". Maybe tipping anyway will be appreciated but hard to villify someone for not leaving a tip they were expressly told they didn't need to leave. One example: Iberostar Cozumel

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom