Tipping DM in Coz?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jaeger62

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
What is the current amount yall are tipping in Coz? I generally only see old threads on this in the searches. Is $5/tank being super cheap and "so 8 years ago?"

I do $10 per dive/tank. More if you got something special, like you asked the DM/guide to find a hard to find critter for you.

I also tip $10/tank for good service.

It's kind of painful now that I'm married to another diver and have to tip for two.

Depends on the base price. I give $5/tank.

I pay a premium price of 75/day, when I could be paying 60/day. So, that is 75+5+5 per day versus 60+5+5 that I could pay out with a commercial operator.

I’m paying about $32.00 a Dive including Nitrox, so $10.00 per tank with da wife seems reasonable to me...I have been known to take the starving DM out for dinner on occasions too:wink:.

Last trip we fed 9 of them for under $50 from Mr Taco.....lol

I went there last year, none was tipping (and the service was OK with Dive Paradise). I was diving with ppl from USA, Japan, North Europe. I tipped in two occasions ($15 for four dives) because of the nice guy who guided us.

They doesn't seem to expect any tip to be honest, in fact they were pretty surprised when I tipped.. so I'm not sure where this "tip rule" comes from or if Dive Paradise is a "special case" in Cozumel.

Tip is a grateful gesture when you receive an exceptional treatment not the norm, if it's a mandatory thing it would be included int he dive prices.

Reactions: BRT
I went there last year, none was tipping (and the service was OK with Dive Paradise). I was diving with ppl from USA, Japan, North Europe. I tipped in two occasions ($15 for four dives) because of the nice guy who guided us.

They doesn't seem to expect any tip to be honest, in fact they were pretty surprised when I tipped.. so I'm not sure where this "tip rule" comes from or if Dive Paradise is a "special case" in Cozumel.

Tip is a grateful gesture when you receive an exceptional treatment not the norm, if it's a mandatory thing it would be included int he dive prices.
That's who I dove with when I went in 2015 and again this year. Some people wait and tip once at the end of the week instead of bringing cash to the boat each day. I tried that this year, but it ended up being a hassle. They switched our DM mid week so I had to track down the original DM in order to tip him.

That's who I dove with when I went in 2015 and again this year. Some people wait and tip once at the end of the week instead of bringing cash to the boat each day. I tried that this year, but it ended up being a hassle. They switched our DM mid week so I had to track down the original DM in order to tip him.

I think I went with different DM's and different boat each day.. so for me it was impossible to remember them all, I only remember one boat name coz it sounded fun: "Cascabel". :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom