Tipping DM in Coz?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

$10/tank? that's near a 30% tip.. you don't tip that amount neither in a 5* superior hotel.. lol... and above.
Hotel staffers, with a few exceptions generally get paid and don't provide me the same level of service that a good DM does. I tip the maid in most hotels $5/day. I tip waiters and bartenders 20%. All of that is adjusted if the service isn't great of course.

If you can't or won't tip then don't. It's not a requirement.

We always tip $5-10 per tank. If diving multiple days, we'll round the total up and leave an envelope in the shop.

Are you suggesting that those of us who tip should stop?

Catch-22 right here... What I'm saying is since the golden age of tipping is on it's last agonizing breaths, the owners should stop relying on tips and give decent wages, hence my skepticism on this practice ending in my lifetime... ...

Hotel staffers, with a few exceptions generally get paid and don't provide me the same level of service that a good DM does.

What about enjoying the modernity and start to give people a decent salary instead of waiting for customers (who already paying a big chunk of money) to pay more to cover something that should be covered by the shop?
And this is not about a third world country (no offence), most of the dive shopts in CZ are run by chaps that have come from USA and Europe. By tipping your giving incentives to this (absurd and wrong) behavior: you're not helping the workers there despite your good intentions.

$10/tank? that's near a 30% tip.. you don't tip that amount neither in a 5* superior hotel.. lol... and above.

That's very common. Do you typically go on boat dives that are only $30/tank? Most boat dives I've seen and been on are $150-$250 for 2 or 3 tanks, so it would be closer to a 14% tip (7.5% to 20% per those numbers).

What about enjoying the modernity and start to give people a decent salary instead of waiting for customers (who already paying a big chunk of money) to pay more to cover something that should be covered by the shop?

I'm pretty sure that if the shops pay the DMs more, then the customers will be paying a bigger chunk of money. The increased employee pay will be passed on to the customers, and the customers will no longer have the option of paying no tip, small tip, or large tip.

That's very common. Do you typically go on boat dives that are only $30/tank? Most boat dives I've seen and been on are $150-$250 for 2 or 3 tanks, so it would be closer to a 14% tip (7.5% to 20% per those numbers).
WOW! I guess it's a matter of where you're from. I usually pay around $30/tank for boat dives although in my hometown it's $50/tank. I don't dive at home in part because of this (I live on the gulf side of Florida). I drive across the state to the Atlantic or to the Keys where the diving is better and the boats charge around $30/tank. The only time I've paid the prices you're paying was when I dove the Epcot DiveQuest aquarium.

What is the current amount yall are tipping in Coz? I generally only see old threads on this in the searches. Is $5/tank being super cheap and "so 8 years ago?"

+1 for $10/tank.

I'm pretty sure that if the shops pay the DMs more, then the customers will be paying a bigger chunk of money. The increased employee pay will be passed on to the customers, and the customers will no longer have the option of paying no tip, small tip, or large tip.

I'm not sure I'm following you. We're talking about a 365 scuba destination, the business is run the whole year (with peaks and whatever, but it's not that they stops for months). The average prices to dive there is well above the common Mexican/Cozumel salary and the DM's/Guides are hired proportionally to the size of the shop.
If with the average price you pay in Cozumel the shop is not paying adequately the DM's/Guides, then there's definitively something wrong (the shop owner is a greedy b*) and it deserves to close his activity.
By tipping you're only boosting this bad behavior: you're giving money to the greedy owner that will continue to do his affairs, while the DM's/Guide have to rely on a uncertain income based on the customers kindness.

It doesn't mean that you should never tip.. it only means that a tip should never been seen as an additional amount at the top of what you have already paid. This whole $10/day is IMO stupid and dangerous (for the reasons I've explained above). Tips should be given for the extraordinary not for the ordinary.

I think I went with different DM's and different boat each day.. so for me it was impossible to remember them all, I only remember one boat name coz it sounded fun: "Cascabel". :D
Rattlesnake

Back
Top Bottom