Tipping on a Day Charter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jhmoore143

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
What are the customary practices for tipping on a day charter? Do you use the 15% you normally tip in a restaurant or is there another formula?

tip what you feel is appropriate. I usually tip $5. per tank...if the crew had to dive with you ( you are not comfortable with your skills) then tip much more...look at $25. per tank..

Ok, thanks

The day trip is a 3-tank charter, usually about 12 - 15 miles off shore. They leave at 0700hrs and get back around 1530hrs or so. They give you a small breakfast (sausage & biscuits) and a lunch (Ham sandwich & Chips) with Cheese/Pepperoni and Ritz crackers on the ride back to shore. They also offer Cantaloupe between dives to help get the salt out of our mouths and lips (and it works as well as tastes great too). . .

The Dive master is in charge of changing out all the tanks between dives (Maximum of 6 divers) but most of us do it ourselves. The boat captain and dive master are very knowledgeable of the sites and know where to go on what days. I have not had a bad dive with them.

They offer a 10% discount on the cost for cash transactions - so I usually give them the whole amount with that 10% (which is $15 or $5 per tank) as the tip.

Thanks for your replies. . .

My guideline is $5 to $10 per tank, so I start in the middle. On a 2 tank trip I'd go with $15 and adjust a little up or down depending on service. The crew would have to be hostile or dangerous to get nothing. And of course, if they have to save your butt or gear, that deserves a bonus.

Back
Top Bottom