Tipping

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You're not paying attention, bengiddins.

The "Rodale's" article is mine. It's in the first sentence, "The following is the un-edited version of the piece which appeared in edited form in my "Ask RSD" column of the October 1999 of "Rodale's Scuba Diving" magazine."

In any event, I have heard many citizens of both NZ & OZ express a desire to keep things tip-free, and I can surely appreciate that. I would, too. However, I have also heard them mention that the situation does seem to be changing somewhat, especally in service sectors that deal with foreign guests. Too bad.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

didn't see the "my" :)

yeah, there's a bit of a tendancy I've noticed to press for tips from visitors from countries where tipping is the norm - it can be abused. Some tourist attractions now throw in the line "any tips greatly appreciated" after any group activities etc - of course they're greatly appreciated, no Australian is going to tip you! Usually in Australia tipping is limited to restaurants, some cafes, pizza delivery and rounding the cab fare up to the next dollar :) Tipping a dollar every time I buy a beer in the US just bugs the hell out of me.

Hi bengiddins,

It's very hard for many of those from tipping nations to restrain themselves when in a non-tipping venue. It's so deeply a part of many first world countries.

I ate at a couple of top drawer restaurants in NZ, and it was all I could do not to leave something, especially when I was getting 2 for 1 for the greenback. Of course, being surrounded by well-healed NZers who were watching me like a hawk lest I tip made it somewhat easier.

Cheers,

DocVikingo

Doc: I enjoyed your article on tipping!

Tipping sure is a great way to drive service up. If someone's food or paying their bills comes from their tips then I'm sure they will go the extra mile. How do you feel about tipping the owner of a dive operation?

Hi triggertravel,

Personally, I do not feel it's appropriate to tip the owner of a dive op except under very extraordinary circumstances.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

I alwasy tip divemasters if the provide good service, take me to good dive sites and make the trip enjoyable. It is rare that I don't dive the DM's.

Scott

$10.00/day is the recommended amount on some Channel Islands liveaboards. It's also approximately the amount I used to tip in the Caribbean. Down Under I don't tip at all.

On recent day-boat trips I've taken to being self-reliant and hence don't bother tipping. No point paying for service you're not using, right?

On tipping Dive shop owners

I would certainly tip a dive shop owner if they took me on a dive and gave the service that deserves a tip. An owner is more likly to give better service in hopes that you will patronize his organization again. Don't penalize an owner because of his status in an organization. Owners draw a salary often lower then paid employees. They are working hard to establish a reputation and cultivate business.

Yes, I own a charter boat and I do except tips. I also have a partner in my business who does not participate in the operation. I draw a salary equal to any other charter boat captain and chef employed by an owner. We work very hard to ensure the comfort and safety of our guests as does everyone in this industry. I don't know anyone in this industry that does it for the money. If we wanted to get rich we would have other careers and be taking dive trips, instead of trying to service other divers.

But that's just my opinion

When we were in KEY WEST, we tipped the crew that gave us good service, and did not tip the crew that gave us bad service AND constantly solicitated for tips.

When I was in COZUMEL, we tipped at the end of each day as the boat crew changed from day to day. There was no solicitation of tips though we later learned that the crew didn't make much. How did we find out? We found out from the local hotel operator when we asked what amount was appropriate. (So ask a 3rd party if your not sure.)

Since we did tip, we did recieve better service the next day.

We also found that IF you tipped, it was appropriate to give it to the DM who would split it amongst the crew.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom