Tips and tricks to having a car, downtown parking, rules of the road, etc...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Texasguy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Well, I'll be renting a car, I want to go everywhere, using a taxi would be astronomical.

1) Parking downtown, where can you park for free? How much is to park on a paid-parking lot?
- It seems like police remove license plates from improperly parked cars...

2) Any rules of the road different from US? What to watch-out for?
- Looks like scooters and taxis are troublesome.
- Downtown streets are one way, must be careful, must mind stop signs.
- Must wear seatbelt.

Anything else?

If you go to trip advisor cozumel there are some posts on parking. I know there are lots around downtown that it is cheap to park in, but i think they close around 10pm so ask if you park there. Also along melgar there are parking meters where you pay and get a receipt to put on dashboard. If you don't have or its not in view you will be booted. I saw ten cars in a row booted in february. You can park at mega and walk also i think.

When I rented a couple of weeks ago, the agent advised staying away from downtown, but also explained how in that area the intersection may have no stop signs so you must know that streets running N-S always stop, ...or was it E-W? The suggestion for parking at Mega and walking into downtown was a good one.

Fueling a rental car is apparently something of a scam. The rental agent told me up front that after circling the island, the fuel cost should be about $12 to top it off. The agent warned me to make sure they reset the pump before fueling. When I fueled the car, The attendant proudly showed me that the meter was cleared. Then appeared to pump some gas, and asked me to check to see that it was fulll, but the gauge had not moved. So he starts to add more, but I jump out and catch a glimpse that the meter now has a charge of 100 pesos even though no gas was added. At that point there are two attendants arguing with me, they fill the tank, clear the meter and now tell me the cost is.....$12. I had a compact and bet I actually used a lot less. Left quite a bad taste. Be prepared.

I usually get around by bicycle or on foot so only have limited advice about car rentals. Another tip for getting gas...count your change VERY, VERY carefully. I got short-changed once and when I challenged them they very quickly give me another hundred pesos or so which made me think it is fairly routine. They tried to make me feel rushed (usually there is a line up) and hustle me off the lot. Another time I was with someone getting gas and she paid in US dollars and, of course, got her change in pesos. Even given a very generous exchange rate, she quickly calculated that she had been shortchanged and they gave her some more money. I suspect that rental cars are targets. Bandits.

The place we rent from asked us to turn our mirrors in when we parked the car to avoid damage to them. So they must get clipped a fair bit by traffic.

Having bought our place down there a couple of years ago, I am finally becoming fairly comfortable driving around San Miguel. It's actually a simple grid system, but no matter how comfortable you are, never trust a stop sign or lack of a sign.

Avenues are the North - South streets. Your major ones are by 10 block groupings with Melgar being the starting point. So for getting thru town N/S you would want to take Melgar(2 way), 10 or 20(1 way) or 30. Ave 30 will be two way.

Calles run East/West and usually 1 way & alternate direction. Calle 11 would be the major one for getting from Melgar to one of the other Avenues if you were coming up from the South of town. This is the road just south of Mega. There will be mini roundabouts where it intersects with the major Avenues and a light at Ave. 30.

The one intersection that always confused me was going south on Melgar at the calle 11 intersection. I would always stop for the red light & get honked at by the cars behind me. Then I noticed the small sign that said to proceed with caution on red. So, you don't have to stop, if there are no cars turning left off of 11th onto Melgar.

Also, if you are planning a trip to the East side of the island, they have extended Calle 11 well past where the Sam's is to a new road that connects with the Transversal. Makes it much easier if you are on the south end of town.

Now that I've said all this, never forget the last part of my first line!

Thttp://www.mapchick.com/ These maps have always helped me. Will be using them again in 2 wks. Texasguy will see you at the pier waiting for the DWM boats

There was another thread about auto insurance which might help you also

Well, I'll be renting a car, I want to go everywhere, using a taxi would be astronomical.

1) Parking downtown, where can you park for free? How much is to park on a paid-parking lot?
- It seems like police remove license plates from improperly parked cars...

2) Any rules of the road different from US? What to watch-out for?
- Looks like scooters and taxis are troublesome.
- Downtown streets are one way, must be careful, must mind stop signs.
- Must wear seatbelt.

Anything else?

The left turn signal. Multiple meanings depending on the situation. First, if it is an American driving, they may mean they are turning left. Second, if it is a local driver, it may mean it is safe to pass. If you see someone on the right shoulder with a left turn signal on, they may be entering traffic again or they could be turning left.

Topes, these are Mexican speed bumps. They can be either above the road grade or sunk below the road grade. In either case, they need to be respected. Personally, I would come almost to a full stop and "crawl" over them. Topes are designed to greatly reduce traffic speed and they are very effective. Either you "crawl" over them or call a tow truck.

Making a left turn, the local rule is that you pull over to the RIGHT shoulder, turn your signal on and wait for traffic to clear in both directions. edit: Disregard if there is a designated left turn lane

Rocks lined up across the road. The local equivalent of both safety flares/triangles or traffic cones. Generally they mean there is a hazard or restriction ahead. Of course, the hazard/restriction may have been long removed and someone just forgot/didn't bother to remove the rocks.

If you can, rent a car that looks "local". I like the Nissan Tsuru. Tons of them are used as taxis and nothing screams tourist like a Jeep.

Also, be sure to check with your hotel about parking. A lot of hotels have little to no onsite parking.

Finally, I totally agree with getting the Coz map from cancunmap.com-Maps and travel guides.Your information source to Cancun,Cozumel,Isla Mujeres & Riviera Maya

Last edited:
If the people sitting outside the restaurant you are driving by are yelling at you, it's not because they think your jeep is dope.

It's because you are driving the wrong way down a one way street.

I'll be driving Chevy Aveo. I can't drive a manual. :(

Well, I probably could but with so many other things that will be new, I don't want to concentrate on shifting in addition.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom