tips for finding dive buddies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

zenheadhunter

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
being a new diver i would like to dive as much as possible to improve my skills as a diver.I have talked to alot of poeple at our local dive spot and they all are friendly but seem to keep to there group, but i have only been there 5 or 6 weekends and dont think i should read to much into my observations.I dive with guys from my lds but they are usually busy with the dive instructors and students and to be honest i feel like a charity case sometimes,so i just slip off when they are busy and usually dive by myself (probably not the best idea i know).any input or advise you can offer would be appreciated.

thanks

being a new diver i would like to dive as much as possible to improve my skills as a diver.I have talked to alot of poeple at our local dive spot and they all are friendly but seem to keep to there group, but i have only been there 5 or 6 weekends and dont think i should read to much into my observations.I dive with guys from my lds but they are usually busy with the dive instructors and students and to be honest i feel like a charity case sometimes,so i just slip off when they are busy and usually dive by myself (probably not the best idea i know).any input or advise you can offer would be appreciated.

thanks

Going of by yourself is probably not the best solution at this stage.

Quite often shop dives are more about getting students in the water and most of the participants arrive with an agenda. That can make it hard to pair of for a good recreational dive.

I would say to keep hanging with the group. The line, "do you mind if I tag along?" went a long ways for me early on. Always understand the dive you are joining. Stay within your training. Before long those students will become divers too and you will be a familiar face. That can lead to forming a network of long term peers to dive with. If along the way you find favor with a seasoned mentor then you are really on to something great.

I know that personally I take a special interest in working with new divers and generally am good with the limitations that may come with those dives. The rewards make it worthwhile. However, there are times when we have objectives that are not in the scope of a novice diver. Those may be BYOB (Bring Your Own Buddy) dives. These divers may be into some dives of that nature. If you are finding favor with anyone you may inquire about getting out at some other time when it would be more of a 1:1 outing.

It's really hard to second guess this situation but if you dive with a spirit of continuous improvement and are a courteous part of the group I suspect folks will open up to you. Try not to over analyze and internalize all of this it will eat you alive.

Have you posted on your regional ScubaBoard forum? There are loads of new divers just hitting the water that are in the same boat. Also many other members will enjoy sharing a dive through your fresh eyes.

Here are some tips that worked for us.

Pete

Hey I had the same problem when I was new to diving but now I have heaps of buddies :) Basically you just have to put yourself out there, chase people up, contact people online in your area, things like that. The best places I have found buddies are the internet (Scubaboard, your local diving forum, Facebook diving groups for your area) and also in dive clubs. If your local area has dive clubs show up to meetings and so on and arrange dives with people. Honestly at the start it can take time to build up a network of buddies (a lot of people like to talk more about wanting to dive than actually going diving which makes it hard), but once you meet a few people they'll introduce you to more and so on. Good luck!

I found most of my regular buddies right here on Scubaboard.
I hated imposing on people aswell, but there are people who don't mind mentoring inexperienced divers. Just be honest about your experience when you go dive with someone for the first time.

I've found finding scuba buddies even more stressful than finding dates. I *know* my potential buddies are better than me and have been with people significantly better than me, and I *know* that I'm not going to last nearly as long as they would like me to.

I can relate, I am a newer diver and did not certify with an LDS so I lacked that beginning connection to the dive world. Now I have a number of good buddies and am always open to more.

What has worked for me....

Boards like this one. I met someone from SB last weekend.

Saying yes to every invitation to dive even if the dive doesn't knock your socks off.

Taking the initiative and asking someone to dive with you or teach you a skill.

Taking a class with an LDS.

Dive clubs, be they internet based or LDS associated.

Local quarry. Now this one was not one I really wanted to try, it is a quarry in a place which has an ocean, but it has been a great way to get to know other divers, practice skills, learn from others, and network to develop a cadre of regular buddies.

I always said I would not do the insta buddy thing here in NC while diving offshore, the conditions can be a bit crazy. But my favorite dive buddy of all, was my first and only insta buddy.

Good luck, it takes time and a little effort, but you will find folks. Please don't dive solo yet.

Thanks for all the info being a new diver my self man is it hard to find someone to dive with even more so when you are land locked like me here in SW Kentucky but we do have a local quarry so I plan to hang out there on the week ends

Act like a remora with some of those at your local spot 6 weekends get on with it but not so close they dislodge your mask. Wish you were here.
Prospective buddies talking about getting wet. HA. I'd love to try your twin hose one day. No worries lets go. Oh Ah Hmm. Seen him 100 times since. No try.
Oooh ahh wahhh I'd love to go diving today but my gear is in for service. No worries, I've got gear beautiful. Mnn ah prftt It's ok and turns on the TV.
Gee I booked a spot on the boat, hope they fill the spot, left my gear at home etc. Thanks the gear is unfamiliar?
One more please. A group great conditions great dive planned. Moaning groaning I wish I could come, my gear is at home. His home is five minutes away and we are sitting in the dive shop he works in surrounded by great gear. Shaaddup, idiot and someone gives him a Dinozzo.
Must be me. Girls are graceful and punctual and fart around less than men and look better and can dive the same.

Must be me.

I've noticed that with a lot of people too... As I said some people like to talk about diving more than dive! Which I found frustrating at the start but I have enthusiastic buddies now so it's fine now, but takes time to find them and you have to kind of put yourself out there.

Girls are graceful and punctual and fart around less than men and look better and can dive the same.

:rofl3:

I wrote that stuff after I read yours, but wait theres more. Not all of them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom