tips for getting ready for my OW course?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think the two best suggestions are 1) read all materials, do all reviews, and be familiar with the "book work" before you show up for your first class; and 2) relax. Don't over think this. Don't wonder about being able to do it. Don't start a new physical fitness routine. Be your self, anticipate a good time, take it a step at a time. You do just fine if you read the materials and relax.
DivemasterDennis

You've received some excellent suggestions so far. I'm going to offer some in a slightly different direction.

• Your diving certification is kind of like getting your drivers license. You are just beginning. After 35 years of driving I am MUCH better now than when I was 16. I've only been diving for 6 or 7 years. I quickly realized that the certificate meant that the "real" learning (i.e. - experience) was just starting.... Enjoy!
  • Stay conservative...get comfortable for your first dozen or so dives. Don't rush off to dive some wreck at 90 feet. After years, my wife still stays under 50 feet because that's within her "comfort zone".
  • READ ScubaBoard! I have learned sooooo much from the folks here. Put on your thick skin and read...
  • Did someone mention relax? Diving should be fun! Enjoy!

I agree. Read your book and mark anything you don't understand so you can ask about it. Practice breathing with your snorkel but no mask, or a flooded mask. (If you're comfortable doing that, doing all of the mask clearing/removal drills will be less stressful for you.)

And, one more that I don't think has been mentioned in this thread so far -- make sure you remember how to relieve a leg cramp. That one helped me immeasurably on the third dive of the day.

Relax, relax, relax! And don't over-think it! I also liked the point that dwatts made about this being the start of your learning!

I'm pretty sure I was a complete train wreck in my OW class :facepalm:but that's the great thing about diving... The more you dive (safely), the better you get! Go into your class recognizing that you probably aren't going to be perfect at every skill and that there will always be room to improve. Get as much constructive criticism as you can!

Yup, read the book, watch the videos, take the quizzes.
Don't work too hard at this. Your instructor's job is to help you develop the skills and knowledge required for certification. If you have a good instructor, he/she will be there to help you when you stumble. A good instructor will also create conditions in the pool that are just outside of your comfort zone. The purpose is not to be mean but to develop skills and confidence. You will learn that you can swap dive gear on the bottom of the pool, leave the gear on the bottom, go to the surface, then do a surface dive and don the equipment at the bottom of the pool. All to help you develop skills and confidence.

Relax, enjoy, and once you have your cert, dive, dive,dive. By the way, you mask will leak on your first open water dive because of the huge grin.....its okay, you will learn to quit grinning, but you will still have the great feelings of euphoria when you dive. I have never had a bad dive, some are just better than others.

Do a lot of reading and a lot of snorkeling. The more comfortable you are in and under the water the easier learning the in water skills will be. You should feel as at home in the water as you do in your favorite chair. Spend time on SB this is a wonderful resource of divers new and old.

AfterDark is spot on about lots of snorkeling. There isn't a whole lot of difference between snorkeling (freediving) and SCUBA diving other than the physics of compressed air use underwater and the convenience of carrying you air supply with you. There was a time when SCUBA students were required to master skin diving (snorkeling, freediving) before graduating to SCUBA. The idea behind this was that the student could become familiar with being underwater and moving in a new environment. If you can skin dive to 30 feet, then a CESA from that depth is a piece of cake.

Once the basic skills of diving with just fins, mask and snorkel are mastered, SCUBA comes more naturally.

the only thing that really had me confused was the dive tables. look at those a little and when you take the class, make sure you understand how to use them.

the only thing that really had me confused was the dive tables. look at those a little and when you take the class, make sure you understand how to use them.

Good advice.

when not swimming read the book(s) and watch the dvd

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom