Tire Inflator with Gauge to connect to tank or LPI/BCI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What you need is one of these and one of these. Jamec is a good brand I have used in mechanical workshops. One is bspt thread and one is NPT thread but wont be an issue. Just use thread tape on it.

upload_2018-8-9_17-3-55.png
upload_2018-8-9_17-5-28.png

The above will do it. I keep the same in my garage for inflating tires. I took a spare inflater hose from a BC and had an 8 foot piece of high pressure hose crimped in the middle. I had an old first stage that I keep it attached to. .

and that adapter they're talking about may well already be on the bottom of the inflator that you have already.
I like to use the BC nipple to NPT adapter and stick a normal tool quick connect on it. Makes it a bit bulkier when you connect an air tool, but allowed you to connect to any air tool which is useful. I have a regulator on mine so I can knock the pressure from the 135psi ish on the scuba tank down to whatever the air tools want

So, this gauge can be hooked up to my BCD?

What I want is to watch the PSI/Bar increase as I inflate my tires, using my scuba tank. I don't want to have to disconnect the inflator to keep checking the PSI/Bar.
No, you are doing right by wondering about this mishap in another posts explanation. The fitting described in posts #3 and 11 connects (with ot's nipple end) to the quick connect coupling on your regularors (low pressure) BCD inflator hose.
The 1/4" male NPT screw end of that fitting should connect to the tire inflator with gauge that you'll also buy. presuming it connects that way. It may already have another fitting screwed in, i.e. an air tool quick connect nipple to hook up to a regular shop compressor. You should be able to take that out and screw in the fitting from post #3. (maybe with teflon tape for seal) ... and you should be set.
The 3rd of 4 images in this US Amazon listing below sort of shows a bunch of connection options at the bottom of the inflator (that particular one would work, so would many others). The scuba fitting (post #3) is what you would use.
Amazon.com: EPAuto Heavy Duty 120 PSI Tire Inflator Gauge with Hose and Quick Connect Plug: Automotive

So, to inflate you take your tank out, put your regulator on, connect the inflator with gage to the BCD hose, open your tank valve and inflate with the inflator. The first stage of your regulator may let about 135 to 150 psi of pressure into that inflator hose. With most all tire gauges not going that high and with your tires not liking that kind of pressure either, you might be able to do damage if you don't watch the gage when inflating. (of course you could do that if a regular conpresdor too).

Some where high pressure was mentioned. Nothing here involves connecting to a high pressure port of your regulator.

You guys are AWESOME!! This will save me so much time every weekend.

So, in summary, I will purchase,
1) this tire gauge, which allows for alternative plugs: Amazon.com: EPAuto Heavy Duty 120 PSI Tire Inflator Gauge with Hose and Quick Connect Plug: Automotive
2) This 1/4-Inch NPT Male Plug (which connects to my BC Inflator): DGX Adapter: 1/4-Inch NPT Male = BC Inflator QD Post

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

You don't know how happy this makes me. :)

There is a lot of good information around here and sometimes it even involves diving.

@Rebecca Hatherley : just make sure to get some teflon tape to put the adapter in. It is not sticky, but just a wrap to go on the threads to make a proper seal. It is something you will need. It is very inexpensive. Just a couple wraps....

You just need the BC to 1/4" NPT fitting. I think I got a few from xs scuba, because I also made a few IP gauges for friends.

IMG_0168.JPG

@Rebecca Hatherley : just make sure to get some teflon tape to put the adapter in. It is not sticky, but just a wrap to go on the threads to make a proper seal. It is something you will need. It is very inexpensive. Just a couple wraps....

thanks for that tip. I will pick some up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom