To check or to carry-on...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I pack my reg, computer, camera, and mask in my carry-on along with a change or two of t-shirts and light weight shorts. I use the 1 gal Ziplock bags to compress the shirts and shorts. Wear the TEVA sandals and I'm set. I can live with a rental BC, fins and suit.

For carry on MEI voyager- fits all my gear: 2xl 5mm full, BC, regulator, apollo Bio fins large, mask, hood, gloves, and boots ~30 pounds.
Recomended:
Leisure Travel Bags :: One Bag

Good looking bag, definitely something we'll look at. Not an option for this trip, but even if you couldn't get everything in it I've been looking for a very softsided (and light!) carry-on that's built to the max allowable size. Everything else I've found it typical softside luggage that is still really rigid and really heavy. Also, the compression straps look like they'd be a huge win as well: you can squish a LOT of stuff down to 22/14/9 with compression straps.

Thanks again for the heads up!

Ike aka "very exciting... as a luggage problem." (name the movie)

If someone is hell bent on keeping certain items with you you should be looking at the personal item and carry-on equation.

With the increasing baggage fees roll-boards have become larger and more popular. Since jets do not have sufficient overhead space to hold a full sized carry-on from each passenger you may find the bins full and see your larger item getting checked though to your final destination at the last minute.

If this is not acceptable then you need to get on board before the bins are filled or have those precious items in your personal item (purse, small back-pack or computer bag) that can go under the seat in front of you. If you have an exit row or bulkhead seat this is further complicated. I have been flying regularly over the last 2 years and it has been a steady escalation. In many cases gate side retrieval is NOT an option, the bag goes into the system to the final destination.

Pete

I traveled years ago all the time and after one horrible experience after the next, checking my bag is now a last resort. If they don't loose it, they steal from it, if the don't steal from it they drop an anvil on top of it. If you haven't experienced this yet you either don't travel much or are a VERY lucky person.
I must be very lucky. Another possibility is that some airports are worse than others, and some airlines are worse than others. I have lived in London, Singapore, Shanghai, and Hong Kong for well over a decade combined, and traveled enough to fill up a few passports, including the pages they add in when the original fills up. I have had my bags delayed twice, and I have never had them or anything packed within them stolen. I do take a few precautions. I try to fly on reputable airlines: Singapore Airlines, SilkAir, Cathay Pacific, EVA Air, Qantas, etc, but sometimes you're stuck with Garuda, or Dragon Air. During the two years that I lived in Chicago I flew United, reluctantly, and during the decade in New York I usually flew Continental out of Newark. None have lost a bag. If there is a direct flight I take it. If I have to change planes, I try to stay on the same airline. I try to avoid layovers of less than 90 minutes. I clearly tag my bags and I remove old bar code stickers. And these days I usually fly business class, but most of my flying over the past twenty years has been in coach.

When I travel, I carry on my regs, computers and camera equipment. It all fits nicely into my Pelican 1520 with my laptop and external hard drives and meets the requirements for carry ons. I pack in a backpack to go under the seat my mask, swimsuits, a couple of changes of clothes (in compression bags), my glasses/contacts and my Kindle and travel documents and other valuables. I wear the Tevas. Everything else gets checked. I pack batteries (I use rechargables) in the dive lights and strobes upside down so nothing gets turned on by accident. The one issue I run into depends on the water temps where I'm diving. In Bonaire, I need only a 3mm. But in the Pacific Northwest (and here at home in NY), I need my 7mm, 3mm core warmer, hood gloves, etc. I am still working on streamlining the packing for travel and love my Mares dive bag. However, my BC is the biggest space pig and I am thinking about investing in a travel BC which weighs less and takes up less room. Compression bags are your friends. You pack better and can possibly fit more in your carry on.

I haven't had bags lost (yet), but do tend to fly in reputable airlines and look for direct flights. Less chance of something getting lost if it doesn't have to get off the plane until I get to my destination. Also, flying out the day before is awesome. I arrive refreshed and I might have even gotten a morning shore dive in if I'm meeting a live aboard later in the day.

Skip the Pelican case, for one thing.

I would love to, but I can't fit my camera housing into a carryon with enough room leftover for other things I need to carry and after having it damaged while packed in a soft sided rolling duffle, I won't do that again. So I now put the camera, housing, strobe, dive lights, external hard drive, etc. in a hard sided pelican case.

I am thinking this year I will leave the dive lights and batteries at home and pack more gear into the pelican case instead. We can rent dive lights if we do a night dive.

Most airlines allow a roll-on and a personal backpack or camera bag.

I am working on getting 3 regs, Nomad, mask, drysuit and undies, computers, gloves, hood, cam bands, and can light in my carry-on, but I haven't quite figured it out yet. I'm probably going to have to leave the laptop at home. I am just way too paranoid to check it in.

Most airlines allow a roll-on and a personal backpack or camera bag.

Not the Cayman Air twin otter service to LC. They allow 1x50lb max check bag and 1x15 lb max carryon. So we have 2 bags and 100 lbs to fit camera gear, wetsuits, BCDs, fins, masks, clothes, toiletries, etc. The regs will be in the carryons along with a book, swimsuit, meds, and travel papers (which should about cover the 15lb limit). We are probably going to end up over on the 50 lb limit no matter what we do, so we may just have to pay the overage fees and hope our bags make it on the flight.

i agree with vladimir.

I travel significantly for work and most of my holidays are international. including many skiing holidays.

I've never lost a bag, had something stolen from it (although i cable tie/padlock my zips) or had anything damaged during flights.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom