To log or not to log.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jokaz82

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
So I have begun volunteering at a science museum as a diver to feed the fish & clean the tanks. Loving it so far, but was wondering if there were limitations to what I can log if I can log these dives. Depth is ~12ft. Can they be logged?

If you consider it a dive I say log it. Some agencies or specifically some instructors may say they won't count them. Honestly it's not like you're just hanging at 12ft just to log a dive, you're actually doing something and hopefully learning/improving upon something when you dive.

If you consider it a dive I say log it. Some agencies or specifically some instructors may say they won't count them. Honestly it's not like you're just hanging at 12ft just to log a dive, you're actually doing something and hopefully learning/improving upon something when you dive.

Definitely agree with you. He's down there working so he should be logging those dives.

Yeah, log anything you want. Only thing to remember is if you're counting it toward a requirement for something like "20 dives needed to do Rescue course", certain dives might not count. Myself, I log anything at all in open water, even if it's 5 mins. and abort for some reason. If it's not open water I don't log (pool, etc.). But's that's just me.

IMHO if something significant was learned that you will want to remember on any dive in a controlled environment, then I log it. Pool dives I don't log though. That said, after you do that dive in the aquarium say 10 plus times I am not sure what you will be able to log. Kinda silly after a handful of dives IMHO. Also, be realistic about what kind of experience this very controlled dive is adding to your abilities. Have fun!

It's your divelog after all.

I agree 100% ... log whatever you want to log ...

When you look back in your book after a little while has passed, you are able to refresh your memory and possibly relive parts of the experience.

Our logs are personal records of marine life we have encountered, divers with whom we've spent time, sites, depths, records of skills progress, dates, times, temp., current, new gear, blah, blah ... blah ...

Some divers refuse to log after only 30 or 40 dives ... I personally continue to log every dive, and will likely only stop after completing DMT ... never seen a pro complete a logbook of their own (hmmm, another thread?)

Now, certain types of training require that divers have x amount of dives completed - some have specific requirements ie. depth, EANx, etc.

I'll add my voice to everybody else's....log whatever you want....After all, the log is for you.

So I have begun volunteering at a science museum as a diver to feed the fish & clean the tanks. Loving it so far, but was wondering if there were limitations to what I can log if I can log these dives. Depth is ~12ft. Can they be logged?

Logging your exact gear config and how it works for you can be very useful. -a great place to get weighting squared away with 500psi in your tank, yes, log the results.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom