To Nitrox or not to Nitrox

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

but Coz is known for its down currents. Not me...!

Don, I've logged at least 350 dives in Coz and only once encountered a down current. I wouldn't say Coz is KNOWN for down currents. They exist but are not pervasive. Why alarm newcomers unnecessarily? :idk:

Don, I've logged at least 350 dives in Coz and only once encountered a down current. I wouldn't say Coz is KNOWN for down currents. They exist but are not pervasive. Why alarm newcomers unnecessarily? :idk:

Well, after spending every other Thursday in Coz for a two year stretch, I'm hardly a newcomer..:D I never felt like I was going to be sucked into the blue trench!

However, I think that living on the edge of MOD without a hard bottom is something to at least be aware of!

So where are these $100 online NITROX classes? The only one I found was from a cert agency that I've never heard of from a school in AZ. Can I have NAUI OW, PADI AOW, and SCA Nitrox cert cards and be taken seriously anywhere?!?!
:idk:

Well, after spending every other Thursday in Coz for a two year stretch, I'm hardly a newcomer..:D I never felt like I was going to be sucked into the blue trench!

Maybe not you. But others read these threads too. BTW I've never had a nitrox tank that was off by about 0.2%.

On a liveaboard, nitrox is a no brainer but the only times we use it in Coz is if we are diving up north for eagle rays which is a deep square profile and Nitrox buys you a ton of bottom time. The operators we dive with don't do nitrox on the first dive due to depth but do encourage it's use (36%) on the second dive. Since we are diving air, we go into deco some times when the others using nitrox have lots of extra time. Going into deco isn't an issue for us since our computers always are cleared before we start our safety stop and we always do a 5 min stop.

Maybe not you. But others read these threads too. BTW I've never had a nitrox tank that was off by about 0.2%.
Do you still test every tank?

I am not safe my nature but work at it, carry two analyzers onto a boat, two tanks on a dive, and allow for the unexpected - like down currents.

Personally I dont think any dive course should be done online, to many questions come up that the instructors can answer right away.

So where are these $100 online NITROX classes? The only one I found was from a cert agency that I've never heard of from a school in AZ. Can I have NAUI OW, PADI AOW, and SCA Nitrox cert cards and be taken seriously anywhere?!?!

Let me Google that for you, my search challenged diving brother: $99 nitrox classes

A year ago, I saw a couple repeatedly dive Nitrox without analyzing. He said they left their computer on Air and were using Nx only for extra safety. Not knowing for sure what mix you're on is careless, and then I saw them do a pretty deep dive. :shocked2:

...by diving Nitrox but setting one's computer on 'air', one is dangerously underestimating one's oxygen exposure (oxygen toxicity) ......oxygen exposure needs to be monitored just as does nitrogen exposure....plus not analyzing one's tanks.......those are ways Darwin weeds idiots out of the gene pool!

...by diving Nitrox but setting one's computer on 'air', one is dangerously underestimating one's oxygen exposure (oxygen toxicity) ......oxygen exposure needs to be monitored just as does nitrogen exposure....plus not analyzing one's tanks.......those are ways Darwin weeds idiots out of the gene pool!
I conveyed a similar suggestion somewhat more politely face to face.

The main fill station in Coz has an excellent record to my knowledge for delivering Nx tanks accurately marked for content, but I check every tank. Much better record than their CO record this summer; as I said, I carry two analyzers onto a boat.

Back
Top Bottom