• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

To those considering an OW class...

Discussion in 'New Divers and Those Considering Diving' started by loosebits, Aug 2, 2006.

1. MikeFerrara

MikeFerrara Instructor, Scuba

I guess this means that I'll have to practice my kneeling so I can get through the refresher.

What a joke.

2. Dive-aholic

Dive-aholic Dive Shop

# of Dives:
    :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3:

3. Tigerman

Tigerman Solo Diver

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    What a joke indeed given that the news was released at what date? April 1st?

4. billeelou

billeelou Barracuda

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    I contacted the EU head of PADI myself and Loof Lirpa himself verified the story and his quotes....It was the headline this morning on Drudge.

So I guess you all better get ready for the refresher courses, just sounds like a way for them to charge more more....

5. Tigerman

Tigerman Solo Diver

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    Oh well.. If Loof said so..

6. Gombessa

Gombessa DIR Practitioner

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    What the heck is drudge.com?

7. billeelou

billeelou Barracuda

drudge is the jumping off point for cutting edge news stories from all over the world.

if you can't find it elsewhere Drudge will have it....

8. Gombessa

Gombessa DIR Practitioner

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Isn't it a parody of Drudge Report? Does it have one of those scripts that let you create your own press releases?

9. irie1029

irie1029 Barracuda

I recetly got OW at a resort and your view is spot on. I feel I know enough not to kill or injure myself. I am 49 and loved snorkeling for the last 10 years in the caribbean. I took the OW with my wife. She is very skiddish and instructor would not pass her on skills. The class was not a blow off at all. I worked hard but in no way would I consider me a "diver". On the equipment note my instuctor told me not to buy any equipment until I gained more experience and figured out what I wanted.

Next week or 2 I am invited to a meet and greet and i am going to continue my education.... listening to and learning form divers like you. I will be making my purchases down the road on advice from divers like you.

This board is a great forum for learning... Thanks!

10. Cheerpig1

Cheerpig1 Angel Fish

# of Dives: 0 - 24
    I am taking one of the new PADI quick classes or whatever they are called. I chose this as I do not have the time to do a lengthier course as I work and go to school. I like the fact that we can do all of the book work and reading on our own...I retained much more doing it at my own pace than I would have in the classroom. As for the pool time...I wish I did have more time doing that to better my skills before going to the open water.

As a result I am a little anxious about physically diving, but I am VERY comfortable in my knowledge and things I learned through the video and the bookwork and tests. There are good things and not so good things about these classes, but everyone learns at their own pace....but its up to us as divers to be responsible and decide what is best for us...