To those considering an OW class...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

billeelou:
Have you seen the news release? According to AP, PADI just announced they are merging with DAN,SSI and Naui under a not for profit corporation and will be issuing restructured guidelines for OW certification, including periodic "refresher course "requirements for ALL dive specialties below dive instructor. The Panel is to be headed by their European regional head, a Mr. L. Lirpa. He stated, "The agenies have decided the training of a once for a lifetime is no longer adequate with the number of new dives entering the picture." Loof also stated he was personally opposed to any standard that did not have the utmost of training and physical fitness in mind.

www.drudge.com

I guess this means that I'll have to practice my kneeling so I can get through the refresher.

What a joke.

MikeFerrara:
I guess this means that I'll have to practice my kneeling so I can get through the refresher.

What a joke.

:rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3:

MikeFerrara:

What a joke.
What a joke indeed given that the news was released at what date? April 1st?

I contacted the EU head of PADI myself and Loof Lirpa himself verified the story and his quotes....It was the headline this morning on Drudge.

So I guess you all better get ready for the refresher courses, just sounds like a way for them to charge more more....

billeelou:
I contacted the EU head of PADI myself and Loof Lirpa himself verified the story and his quotes....It was the headline this morning on Drudge.

So I guess you all better get ready for the refresher courses, just sounds like a way for them to charge more more....
Oh well.. If Loof said so..

billeelou:

What the heck is drudge.com?

Gombessa:
What the heck is drudge.com?

drudge is the jumping off point for cutting edge news stories from all over the world.

if you can't find it elsewhere Drudge will have it....

billeelou:
drudge is the jumping off point for cutting edge news stories from all over the world.

if you can't find it elsewhere Drudge will have it....

Isn't it a parody of Drudge Report? Does it have one of those scripts that let you create your own press releases?

I recetly got OW at a resort and your view is spot on. I feel I know enough not to kill or injure myself. I am 49 and loved snorkeling for the last 10 years in the caribbean. I took the OW with my wife. She is very skiddish and instructor would not pass her on skills. The class was not a blow off at all. I worked hard but in no way would I consider me a "diver". On the equipment note my instuctor told me not to buy any equipment until I gained more experience and figured out what I wanted.

Next week or 2 I am invited to a meet and greet and i am going to continue my education.... listening to and learning form divers like you. I will be making my purchases down the road on advice from divers like you.

This board is a great forum for learning... Thanks!

I am taking one of the new PADI quick classes or whatever they are called. I chose this as I do not have the time to do a lengthier course as I work and go to school. I like the fact that we can do all of the book work and reading on our own...I retained much more doing it at my own pace than I would have in the classroom. As for the pool time...I wish I did have more time doing that to better my skills before going to the open water.

As a result I am a little anxious about physically diving, but I am VERY comfortable in my knowledge and things I learned through the video and the bookwork and tests. There are good things and not so good things about these classes, but everyone learns at their own pace....but its up to us as divers to be responsible and decide what is best for us...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom