Too tight bungie? Foot pocket sizing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oregondiver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I dove with a pair of Large force fins (with my Whites Drysuit, built in boots) for about 10 years. That pair of fins only had the web/canvas strap but I never had to use it because my boots were too big for the foot pocket and once I got them into the force fin, they never came off without brute force.

Two years ago I bought a pair of XXL Force Fins, figuring my days of angst were over. It even had bungee heel straps. Yahoo. They were big on my foot, but I loved them.

Alas...I got my husband in to diving in January and he stole my freakin XXL force fins!!! :catfight: His dive instructor didn't want him in the FF's (because they might have wanted to sell him their own fins??) but he knew how much I loved mine so he decided to try them out and won't give them back now!

So the finance committee authorized me to get a new pair of Force Fins :blessing:

I bought a pair of XL Force Fins (with WINGS, in RED, and Sparkles...I am fancy now!) figuring the Larges were way too small, and the XXLs swam on my foot. But the XL's are still too small. I have already given my husband a bloody fat lip when he was pulling to get them off and ended up smacking himself in the lip with them when they finally released off my foot.

Has the foot pocket changed? from buying my first pair all those years ago. These XL fit almost like the Large size. I was diving on the Magician the last two weekends out at Catalina and I had both dive masters almost fall off the boat when they finally got my fins loose. I felt like I should have gotten tips for the entertainment I caused everytime I went to get back on the boat. :cheerleader:

(btw, I am not trying to return them because it was my own fault I didn't get a chance to dive them until I had them more than 30 days....and they are adorable fins anyway and will be coming with me to Oahu next month where they will fit perfectly without my drysuit!)

Also...the bungie is super tight (it helps to ram my foot into the pocket so it is even harder to get off)....I am a dunce and can't understand your instructions to replace them. I have new cords but don't understand how to replace them...help please? Cliff notes for bungie dummies?

I will get photos up in a few days once we download them from the camera....
And we meant to stop by your shop while we were "in the area" but y'all were closed when we were in that area. Guess we need to drive down there again next year!

On the plastic part of the bungie, there will be a plastic barrel (toward the bungie side, not the screw side). Take a flat blade screwdriver and pry the barrel away from the rest of the bracket. Then push or pull the bungie and put the barrel back in place. If you pull the bungie cord too far and it comes out, don't worry, just smooth out the end, so it will fit back through. Hope this helps, there is also a video on You Tube.

I'll let others tell you about sizing, though I suspect you need the XXL with a comfort instep.

Thanks for the info. I will google the youtube video!

I have comfort insteps with both the XL & XXL. But I never used them since the fit was fine. It was just weird to go from super loose on XXL to a super tight XL that amost matches the size L. :blinking:

there is a huge difference in sizing between the XL and the XXL and then you should see the 3XL. For me, I wear a Large barefoot, XL with thin booties, XXL or 3XL (with instep) with drysuit. Or I can size down a XXL with 2 pairs of insteps and wear them barefoot too. XXL is a very versitile size, I have put them on everyone from a women's 7 (drysuit boot) up to my 13 wide in a drysuit. Not sure about sizing changes, I have had XL's for about 12 years now and they don't seem to be different.

oregondiver,
Thanks for your post. A good read with well inserted whatcha mu call ums -smiles-:cool3: Unfortunately the base of the humor stems from the wrong size Force Fins. Other sad events in your story is that your Force Fins were stolen (happens a lot between dive buddies) and the fact that your husband was frowned upon when considering Force Fins (Not a first) Glad to see you are both now using smart fins, but we still have a sizing issue :dance3:
I can not say this enough -"when sizing yourself with a Force Fin size to the largest possible size" One of the beauties of a Force Fin is the open foot pocket design which allows you to adjust your foot pocket size with the Comfort Instep. I am glad to hear your fins will be of good use in the tropics, but when diving dry you will need a XXL possibly with a comfort instep depending on your foot and boot set up.

"XL Force Fins (with WINGS, in RED, and Sparkles...I am fancy now!)" Is it a Flying Force Fin? Nice touch with the sparkles.

With the Bungie Heel strap adjustment take a look at this video as I hope it is helpful.

If you have any questions or need assistance please feel free to give me a call tomorrow 4.14.10 between 2pm and 4pm pacific 1.800.346.7946
If you are trying to change the heels straps below is another helpful video, again please call if you have any questions at all.

Sorry we missed you on your way down to dive Catalina. Please give us a call before hand next time and we will arrange to join you on the boat.
Thanks again for sharing your story and posting your question,
Blair

Thanks CSICNOMORE for your post and assistance.

Here are a few of the photos that were taken from shore (force fin pro XXL in yellow and Flying force fin in red sparkles) :dork2:. The underwater ones...are on a camera that is currently in the phillipines. :mooner: My friends promised to send when they get back, but until then...here are 3 of the photos.

Blair, thanks for that second youtube video. Do you know where I can find 2 clips locally? I already have the FF bungies...just no clips. It would be great to finally fix my original pair of FF's to the bungie straps!

Attachments

• FF boat 2.jpg
    FF boat 2.jpg
    423.9 KB · Views: 100
  • FF boat.jpg
    FF boat.jpg
    437.4 KB · Views: 107
  • FF Feet.jpg
    FF Feet.jpg
    425.8 KB · Views: 81
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back