Tortured double hoses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Unfortunately I was unable to view the videos as I have dial-up and not enough cache memory (more old school :wink: ). I did get some glimpses though so I was able to get the general idea.

Was there supposed to be some other reason why we carry big dive knifes? Other than great whites, that is.

Luis,

My training in 1977 sounds just like yours. Taught by a former military man, I specifically remember the aluminum foil "blackout" diving; various types of doff and don scenarios; the four corners station breathing; and being harassed by the evil Divemasters who would turn off our air, roll us around and pull the regulators from our mouths. How I loved that training! The more masochistic/sadistic among us became DMs, but unfortunately we rarely get to practice our true calling nowadays:wink:.

Sometimes I wonder if we have really "progressed" when it comes to diver training. The old style made for very competent divers, right out of the box.

I was certified in 1971 at age 16 and all of these scenarios were practiced by the instructors on us. I have often told newbies about the good old days and how lucky they are. After all none of these situations could ever happen now, not in the 21 century. But just in case I still harassed my daughter when she was getting her C-card and I even did the un-thinkable and made her buddy breath the length of the pool twice. Does that make me a bad Father?

If you are a bad father then I am too. So far only one of my daughters knows how to buddy breathe but the other will too soon :wink: And no, I do not have an octopus. To me that's something you play "catch" with underwater. And they will also learn how to use the DIVE TABLES! I don't care how well they think they can make a piece of electronic equipment--they can still learn how to plan their dives just in case and carry along the No Decomprssion Limits. I mean--electronics--in SALT WATER! Under Pressure! How long can they possibly last? Electronics can barely survive above the water in a boat.

Last edited:
I was certed in 86 and my class was the equivalent of.....beauty school. My instructor was young, probably around my age at the time, 23, and I suspect he was new. My friend and I were the only girls in class, so yea, we passed quite easily.

OTOH, if I'd had the tough, drill sargent type, I probably would have quit. I was more......wussy then.

I remember that back in 1966 during Navy Diving School in DC.

Ditto at second class school San Diego in 1970, except buddies had to stay in physical contact during the harassment dive or they washed both out. In the end, everyone in the class had one set of doubles and two pair of trunks by the end of the dive. I think it was the final/fourth week. We had a death grip on the doubles harness, more because we didn’t want them to separate us rather than concern over drowning... it was just a swimming pool after all.

Everyone was scared as hell before the dive, but nobody failed. There was a lot more cutting of the supply hoses then, but there were plenty of spares on the shelf. There was one team that had to buddy breath off an 8" stub of hose. They blew through a lot of air but made it.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom